Halls Musical, the Beatles and a Great Law Bake-Off: Your Week Ahead

Avoid the temptation to become a full-time library hermit and take an hour to keep up with Trinity's societies this week.

Susie Crawford Radius Editor
Aoife Daly and Alan McLoughlin in Trinity Hall's 'Into the Woods' in 2017.

As we enter the final countdown to deadlines, it’s easy to become a full-time library hermit. However, as the prospect of going home for six weeks for Christmas looms large, it’s more important than ever to make the most of campus life. Take a break from the library and expand your mind at one of the many informative talks taking place this week. Or, better yet, get out of the library for the sole purpose of relaxing and having a cup of tea with a society of your choice.

Monday

On Monday at 6pm, Trinity Law Society (LawSoc) and Trinity Genetics Society will host guest speakers Prof David McConnell and Dr Katherine O’Keefe for a discussion on the ethics of genetic data. This week, Genomics Medicine Ireland has been criticised for allegedly offering up genetic datasets on 12,000 multiple sclerosis patients. The subject of ethical use of genetic data has never been more relevant in Ireland than it is today. To stay up-to-date on the topic, head down to room 3126 in the Arts Block. Admission is free.

Tuesday

Trinity Musical Theatre Society will be holding its winter showcase on Tuesday evening. The society has collaborated with DU Music, DU Dance, Trinity Singers and Trinity Cancer Society to put together a show that promises to bring a bit of sparkle to an otherwise dreary Tuesday night. Tickets for the event are €10, but with all proceeds going to the Irish Cancer Society, you can be safe in the knowledge that your cash is going to a good cause. If you’re in need of some good cheer and jazz hands, book your ticket on Eventbrite and bop to WigWam this Tuesday.

Wednesday

European Law Students Association (ELSA) will be hosting a panel discussion on asylum law and immigration with guest speakers Catherine Cosgrove from the Immigrant Council of Ireland, Aoife Gillespie, the head of immigration at Phillip Lee solicitors, Michael Conlon and Micheal Lynn. ELSA ask all attendees to register for this free event on Eventbrite as spaces are limited. The event kicks off at 7pm sharp and will take place in House 39, Room 02A.

The annual Halls musical begins its two-day run this Wednesday at 8pm. This year, a cast of Trinity’s most talented students are tackling Spring Awakening – a musical set in 1890s Germany that revolves around a group of teenagers as they explore sexuality. With a high-energy rock score, Spring Awakening is a sexy, exciting piece of theatre. Student tickets are €5 and are available to purchase on collecte.io.

Thursday

Trinity Alternative Music Society has organised an evening of pure relaxation this Thursday, inviting library-dwellers to leave their books behind, sit back, relax and watch the Yellow Submarine by the Beatles. The event is billed as “90 minutes of trippy animated wonder”, and surely an hour and a half of psychedelic, colourful film is exactly what we all need on a dark November evening. Admission is free, and the event will take place in the Arts Block, room 3051.

Friday

For an indulgent, delicious end to the week, LawSoc, Trinity Free Legal Advice Centre and the College’s Law School have collaborated to create the Great Law School Bake-Off. If you’re an aspiring baker, you’re welcome to register your interest in taking part by contacting Sean Duffy ([email protected]) or Milly Farrell Kelly ([email protected]).. For those interested in showing off their baking skills, all baked goods must be on display in the Atrium by 10am on Friday, but if you’re more interested in eating cake than in baking it, head down to the Atrium for 11am for a bountiful bake sale. All proceeds will go to Focus Ireland.

Correction: 23.05, November 17th, 2019
An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that the Halls musical begins at 7.30pm. In fact, it begins at 8pm.