Sorcha McAllister Wins Silver With Ireland at European Championships

DUHAC's Sorcha McAllister was part of the Irish under-23 contigent that placed second in the cross country event.

Fiachra GallagherSports Editor
Sorcha McAllister (far right) with the rest of the Ireland squad that won silver at the European Athletics Cross Country Championship.
Athletics Ireland

Sorcha McAllister, of Dublin University Harriers and Athletics Club (DUHAC), was part of the Ireland under-23 team that won a silver medal at the finals of the European Athletics Cross Country Championship today in Lisbon.

McAllister was part of a squad – along with Stephanie Cotter, Claire Fagan, Roisin Flanagan, Fian Sweeney and Eilish Flanagan – that scored a total of 29 points to place second in the team standings. The Netherlands were winners on the day, scoring 17 points to secure gold, with Great Britain and Northern Ireland scooping the bronze medal.

McAllister’s teammate Cotter also took home an individual medal, finishing in third place after recording at time of 21:15.

Speaking after the race, Cotter said: “I knew coming in with this team, with Eilish and Roisin and the rest of the girls, there was definitely a huge chance of us getting a team medal position.”

McAllister finished the race in 57th place, clocking in at 24:55.

Last month, McAllister was part of the DUHAC team that finished first at the Irish University Athletics Association Road Relays held at Maynooth University. McAllister and her teammates – Caron Ryan, Clíona Murphy and Eavan McLoughlin – were the first Trinity team to win gold at the event since 1987.

McAllister is one of three students to be awarded a sports scholarship for athletics this year. Her DUHAC clubmates Kate Doherty and Murphy were also announced as scholars in October.

This year has been the most successful year on record for Irish athletics. Over the course of the running season, Irish athletes have won 12 individual and two team medals across the various major championships. Four of these medals were won today in Lisbon.