A Freshers’ Guide to Staying Social in a Socially Distanced World

It mightn’t be how you envisaged college, but making new friends as a fresher is still absolutely possible. Here’s our guide to making it happen.

Eimear FinanJunior Editor

It’s safe to say that this is going to be a term (or maybe a year, who knows) like no other. It feels like we’ve lived most of the last six months in our bedrooms behind the glow of a laptop screen – and it looks like we’re going to spend the next while in college doing the same.

Let’s not dwell on what we cannot do, but focus on what we can. I’ve compiled a list of things to help you keep the dreaded FOMO at bay. The list below aims to help you build and maintain a social life at college when society is depending on us to stay apart. Whether you’re staying at home this year or living in rented accommodation, there is something in this list for everyone.

Get involved

Let’s face it – freshers’ week festivities are undoubtedly at their most fun when they provide plenty of opportunities to meet new people and when they are in person. Unfortunately, only one of those things is possible this September. And we’re not likely to see a dance floor any time soon, either. Trinity’s societies have been working hard over the summer to move their activities online, with many aimed at helping freshers meet new people through their shared interests.

Zoom calls can feel awkward at the best of times, not least when they’re shared with people you have not met before. But with society membership set to be cheaper this year, it is the perfect time to take a leap, throw yourself into a new or existing hobby and form new friendships through it. It might seem daunting at first, but force yourself to contribute as much as possible to Zoom events. You’ll thank yourself when all this is over.

Make friends

None of us planned to spend our college days drinking bad homemade cocktails by ourselves from plastic bottles over a video call with people we’ve never met before. But if this is what socialising in a pandemic involves, then so be it. Partying is out of bounds but fear not, as Ents has put together an impressive schedule of online restrictions-compliant events, including such technological innovations as a lockdown cocktail making class, an online freshers’ concert and a Zoom table quiz.

If online Ents-related activities aren’t your jam, don’t fret. Use these first few weeks to get to know the people with whom you’ll be spending the next few years. It will be difficult to build and maintain relationships this term. We will need a close group of friends now more than ever. You won’t be sharing coffees between lectures just yet, so online interactions will have to do for now. That means you’ll have to make a bigger effort than ever to put yourself out there, on the “line”. Join your course WhatsApp group – or, if none has been set up already, make one yourself! Opening these lines of communication will make distance learning easier and will help you form friendships that will last long after physical lectures have returned.

Remember, you’re all in the same boat and will be equally desperate to make friends, so don’t feel like you are being “weird” by privately messaging someone during one of your Zoom or society event calls and asking if they would like to meet up (at a social distance, of course). Trust me, they’ll be relieved you asked.

Go outdoors!

We all know that the first rule of socialising in a pandemic is to limit your physical contacts. However, if you’re sick of relying on interminable Zoom quizzes to see your friends and need to see them in person, ventilation is key. You know what that means – taking advantage of the great outdoors. Yes, I said it. Leave your Pinterest-worthy bed desk and bookshelf behind. Put on your favourite face mask. Get out there, get some fresh air and arrange to meet your friends if the restrictions and the weather allow it. Those living in Halls will have Temple Park at their doorstep. Taking public transport is not advisable, but if you have the means to travel further afield, Howth Hill, Dollymount Strand and Bull Island are all perfect destinations for socially-distant walks with friends. Pack a picnic and take it to visit the llamas in Phoenix Park. Summer might be over but if you’re craving an autumnal swim, Portmarnock Beach and Dollymount Strand are just two of the many beaches favoured by Dubliners. Making WhatsApp group chats for running, cycling or football for fellow freshers in your area is also a great way of meeting new people and staying healthy and active while doing so. All of these suggestions come with one very important caveat: if you are planning socially-distant activities with friends, be responsible. Maintain two metres physical distance and have a mask and some sanitiser at hand.

Accommodation/shared living

It’s a strange time to be living away from home, especially for first years, whose first term at college will be marred by the instability caused by ever-changing restrictions on movement. Forming strong relationships with housemates will therefore be vital. Shared student accommodation is the perfect environment to foster a supportive community atmosphere. Socialising between apartments will be curtailed and parties are cut altogether, so take the time to get to know your flatmates. Lay the groundwork for the year ahead by forming a common bond to keep each other safe by adhering to government guidelines as and when they change. Playing board games, holding movie nights and sharing dinner are all perfect ways to develop mutual trust with each other. Make the place more homely by investing in a good projector, some fairy lights or even a games console to fight over. As always, good communication is key to making communal living work.