Yoga, Debates and Critters: Freshers’ Week Day Three

Mairead Maguire gives us the lowdown on Wednesday’s best events.

Mairead MaguireSocieties Editor

We’re on our third day of freshers’ week 2020 and we hope you’re not all Zoomed out – the week is yet young. From creepy crawlies to an address from Chief of the International Criminal Court Chile Eboe-Osuji, society events will cover range of interests today. Here are a few of Wednesday’s most exciting society events.

Allyship in Social Movements, 1pm

Suas will host a panel discussion with members from Extinction Rebellion, Movement of Asylum Seekers in Ireland (MASI) and Migrants and Ethnic Minorities for Reproductive Justice (MERJ). Together they will discuss the concept of allyship and its importance in aiding a social movement. Starts at 1pm.

Chile Eboe-Osuji Addresses the Phil, 3pm

The Phil will be joined by Chile Eboe-Osuji, chief of the International Criminal Court. Eboe-Osuji, who was born in Nigeria, previously served as legal advisor to the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights. He presided over the trial of Kenya’s deputy president, William Ruto, who was accused of inciting a series of murders for political gain after the country’s controversial 2007 election. This is sure to be an interesting address for all politics and law enthusiasts. Begins at 3pm.

Free Yoga with YogaSoc, 5pm

Between Zoom lectures and socially distanced raves, freshers week can be stressful and you may need a minute to breathe. Luckily, Trinity Yoga Society (YogaSoc) has been offering freshers free yoga classes all week. Stay healthy and centre yourself at home with one of YogaSoc’s teachers, Astrid. Takes place at 5pm.

This House Regrets Love in the Time of Covid, 5pm

After almost six months in your parents house with not so much as a library lover to keep you going, did you resort to dabbling in online dating? Did texting become a chore or did that shred of love and attention keep you going in isolation? Many have emerged from lockdown in complicated entanglements. Join the College Historical Society as they debate whether we would’ve been better off swiping left. Starts at 5pm.

Collies Critters with DU ZooSoc, 6pm

Interested in creepy crawlies but afraid to get too close? This less traditional event will see you introduced to some arachnids, amphibians and reptiles, all from the comfort of your own home. This will be a fun and educational experience that will give you a taste of what’s to come this year with the Zoological Society. Head over to the society’s Facebook page at 6pm to get access to the Zoom link.