Students Must Show Letter and Trinity ID If Stopped by Gardaí On Way to College

College students are currently allowed to come on to campus, despite level-five restrictions.

Cormac Watson and Molly Furey

Students must carry their student card and a letter of authorisation from Trinity when travelling to College or placement sites to show to the Gardaí if they are stopped en route.

In an email to students tonight, Director of Student Services Breda Walls said that “as the country continues in Level 5, those of you travelling to campus or placement sites, for essential activities, may be stopped by Gardaí and asked to show a letter of authorisation from the University”.

She also attached the letter of authorisation in the email in pdf format.

Students may also use a confirmation of offer letter instead of a student card.

The letter of authorisation, signed by the Academic Registry, states: “This document permits the students of Trinity College Dublin to attend essential onsite
education activities in Trinity College or on placement location sites.”

“In presenting this document the student confirms that they are aware of the Government restrictions on movement/travel and will comply with those guidelines by only using this certificate for movement/travel directly associated with essential education activities of Trinity College”, it continues.

Universities and colleges were granted “essential service” status under Ireland’s current lockdown.

Earlier this month, Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris announced that libraries would be permitted to remain open for “scheduled access”, and teaching and research which is considered “essential” and cannot take place online may be held in person.

In a press statement, Harris said: “The Level 5 measures announced last night designate higher and further education as essential insofar as onsite presence is required and such education activities cannot be held remotely. Institutions and providers are best placed to determine where onsite presence is required.”

Trinity announced that it would continue to run as it had been since the beginning of term, with most learning taking place online. Classes that needed to take place in person – including lab and practical classes, clinical skills classes and creative practice – would continue to take place face to face.

Trinity confirmed that these restrictions would in all likelihood remain in place until Christmas.