Ernst & Young Renew Sponsorship Deal With the Hist

This sponsorship will see continued event collaboration between the financial services firm and college society, and a paid internship will be awarded to one lucky student debater.

Mairead MaguireSocieties Editor

The College Historical Society (the Hist) has announced Ernst & Young (EY) as its headline sponsor for this academic year.

EY is one of the world’s largest financial services firms, and – alongside Deloitte, KPMG and PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) – is considered one of the “Big Four” accounting firms.

The winner of the Hist’s annual Maidens competition, which is open to newcomers to college debating, will be awarded a highly coveted paid internship with EY, as was the case last year. The Hist’s Maidens competition is hugely popular: 420 students took part last year and just six reached the final before the winner was decided.

For other members, the Hist is expected to host events in conjunction with EY where it will give advice on the EY application and interview process.

In an email statement to The University Times, Auditor of the Hist Brid O’Donnell said: “The Hist is delighted to be maintaining our headline sponsor partnership with EY, particularly in these challenging times.”

She also confirmed that this sponsorship would see a continuation of the paid professional opportunity with EY offered to the winner of Maidens, along with EY’s continued support of their events through this academic year.

“We are excited to help students engage with a top graduate employer, and are looking forward to the many exciting debates and events to come”, she added.

This news comes at a particularly trying time for student society sponsorships. In September, this newspaper reported that PwC had terminated its five-year sponsorship of the Dublin University Philosophical Society (the Phil).

While it was reported that there was no ill feeling on either side, Phil President Kate Maher cited financial hits the company suffered as a result of the coronavirus pandemic as the reason they could “no longer afford to continue with their headline sponsorship”.