In its Tenth Year, the Annual Dublin Art Book Fair Moves Online

The annual festival made its online debut yesterday with a discussion between Aleana Egan and Richard Proffitt on their respective studio processes.

Hana GallagherDeputy Art Editor

The Temple Bar Gallery launched its 10th annual Dublin Art Book Fair 2020: Design as Attitude (DABF20) yesterday. Unlike other years, the 2020 exhibition will take place entirely online through the Temple Bar Gallery’s website. The exhibition, which runs until December 6th, will feature a series of talks, discussions and workshops over the course of two weeks.

DABF20 will platform 50 art books made especially for the fair by participating artists and designers. These books are mainly from small and independent publishers, on topics ranging from philosophy to fiction. Curated by Alice Rawthsorn, an award-winning design critic and author, DABF20 is an investigation into the expansive nature of design and its ability to pervade various aspects of modern life and society.

This year’s theme – “Design as Attitude” – shows how design interacts with the challenges of modern life and transcends traditional conceptions of what art and design are capable of. This is particularly relevant in light of the coronavirus pandemic, which has posed a unique challenge to the artistic sphere, forcing artists and galleries to adapt to a more accessible, online mode of delivery. The adaptation of DABF20 looks promising, with potential for even greater interaction and outreach than ever before, thanks to this year’s virtual format.

The talks scheduled are set to cover a range of topics, from the importance of books to the application of design in our modern world. Of the various interviews and discussions timetabled, one of particular interest is Hans Ulrich, Artistic Director at the Serpentine Galleries in London, and DABF20 curator Alice Rawthstorn’s that will be live streamed on Wednesday, December 2nd. This discussion will pivot around the world of Éduard Glissant – a poet, philosopher and literary critic from Martinique, who is hailed as one of the most influential figures in Caribbean thought and cultural commentary.

Of the six other events which will take place between now and December 5th, the final installment in the series is particularly exciting. On December 5th, studio artist Eimear Walshe will host an immersive adult-only workshop entitled “Libidinal Design”, which will explore the roles of design and desire in the process of creating furniture, buildings and cities. For anyone looking to awaken their artistic curiosities, this is one event you won’t want to miss.

All events are free of charge, though pre-booking is required for In Conversation: Hans Ulrich Obrisrt on Éduard Glissant with Alice Rawsthorn and Curator’s Talk: Alice Rawsthorn – Design as Attitude. Further information on Dublin Art Book Fair 2020 events is available on the Temple Bar Gallery website.