Some 15% of Irish Adults Have Been Raped, Say Trinity Researchers

The study also found that 33 per cent of Irish adults had experienced some form of sexual violence.

Emma DonohoeDeputy News Editor

Researchers from Trinity and Maynooth University have found that 15 per cent of Irish adults have been raped in their lifetime, varying from 20 per cent in female participants to 10 per cent in male participants.

In a study based on a sample of 1,000 Irish adults, the researchers also found that 33 per cent of Irish adults had experienced some form of sexual violence, with 50 per cent of women reporting that they had experienced sexual violence, compared with 20 per cent of men.

The study also looked at the impact sexual violence had on victims and their likelihood of suffering from mental health difficulties in the aftermath. The research team reported an increased risk of complex post-traumatic stress disorder, major depression and generalised anxiety disorder.

The study also found that despite the associated mental illness risk, those who experienced sexual violence did not have a greater disruption to social functioning.

The researchers are set to publish their findings – which will serve as an update to the landmark 2002 ‘Sexual Assault and Violence in Ireland’ (SAVI) report – in the Journal of Interpersonal Violence.

In 2018, the Irish government announced funding for an official follow up SAVI report which is expected to be completed in three years time and cost over €1 million.

Dr Frédérique Vallières, director of the Trinity Centre for Global Health and study co-lead said in a press statement: “We noted substantial differences in the rates of sexual violence between men and women, whereby women were found to be significantly more likely than men to have experienced sexual violence.”

“These figures are particularly important to communicate today, on the United Nations International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.”

In a press statement, Philip Hyland, an associate professor of psychology at Maynooth University and study co-lead, said: “Survivors of sexual violence were just as likely as those who had never been exposed to sexual violence to be in long-term committed relationships, to be employed, to be earning a high salary, and to have attended university.”

“In some cases, survivors of sexual violence were doing better compared to those who had not suffered sexual violence. These findings show that despite living with the mental health effects of their trauma, survivors of sexual violence are extremely resilient.”

In a press statement, CEO of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre Noeline Blackwell said that the study highlighted the need to increase access to relevant mental health supports and services for survivors of sexual violence saying: “Ensuring that available and accessible mental health services are integrated into sexual violence response programmes is central to achieving this. The research finding that survivors have great resilience mirrors our similar experience of their strength.”

If you have been affected by, or would like to discuss issues concerning sexual assault or non-consensual behaviour, you can contact the Welfare Officer of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union by emailing [email protected]. Emergency appointments with the Student Counselling Service are also available. You can phone Niteline, the student listening service, every night of term from 9pm–2:30am on 1800 793 793, or the Samaritans at any time on 116 123. The Dublin Rape Crisis Centre can be reached at 1800 778 888.