Trinity Football Phenomenon Sadhbh Doyle Makes Champions League Debut

Peamount United were beaten by Glasgow City 6-5 on penalties in a nail bitingly close game.

Matt McCannSports Editor

Trinity soccer star Sadhbh Doyle made her UEFA Women’s Champions League debut yesterday for Peamount United Football Club after being subbed on with 83 minutes played and the match level.

Despite a hard-fought battle against Glasgow City Football Club, Peamount were unable to pull through after losing out on penalties by a score of 6-5.

For Doyle, however, this marks the next step in her rapidly advancing football career. She has also represented Ireland at the underage level from under-15 through to under-19.

Doyle’s talents were recognised this summer when she won the Football Association Ireland (FAI) International Player of the Year Award for 2019.

Doyle is a Trinity dentistry student who also plays soccer in the Women’s National League for Galway Women’s Football Club.

Doyle is also a Trinity Sport scholar and midfielder for Trinity Women’s Soccer team.

Aoife Robinson, another Trinity sports scholar and striker for Trinity, is currently playing for Bohemians Football Club in the Women’s National League for 2020.

Last season both Doyle and Robinson were an integral part of the Trinity side’s skyrocketing success throughout the bulk of the season.

In the Colleges and University Football League (CUFL) division one campaign, the team remained atop their league and dominated their opponents for much of the season – though experienced a gut-wrenching defeat in the semi-final against Dublin City University, losing 4-1.

Trinity have not been allowed to play this season due to government health restrictions. As an intervarsity team, they were not deemed elite by the government and hence were not granted an exemption from level-three restrictions.

Only five Trinity clubs were permitted to play during level three: Trinity Meteors, Dublin University Hockey Club mens and ladies first team, Dublin University Football Club mens firsts and the Trinity women’s volleyball team. Ever since level-five restrictions were introduced, however, no sporting matches have been permitted to go ahead.