Your Week Ahead: Free Yoga, Tinie Tempah and A Social Justice Book Club

For the environmentally (and Christmas) conscious among us, Tuesday night’s event will see you rocking around the compostable christmas tree.

Aine KennedyContributing Writer

Whether it’s yoga or Tinie Tempah, Trinity societies truly have something for everyone this week. The wide array of upcoming events offer numerous ways to put off your assignments in the name of self care. Whether you’ve already embraced the December festivities or you’re still in denial that Christmas exams really are that soon and want to hold onto November for as long as you can, we have plenty of events for you to attend.

Monday

The launch of Trinity’s newest social justice book club is happening this Monday at 7pm. Trinity Environmental Society, Trinity Global Development Society, DU Amnesty, Suas Trinity and Society for International Affairs (SOFIA) are coming together to create the Speak Out, Read Up! book club. The club will host one meeting per month focused on current social justice issues and all reading materials will be emailed out to participants beforehand. This first meeting will be based around the topic of climate change in an Irish context.

Tuesday

If you’re still reeling from the cancellation of Trinity Ball 2020, you need to clear your schedule for Tuesday morning. Trinity College Law Society (LawSoc) has invited Tinie Tempah to address the society at 11:30am on Tuesday. Watching society hacks present Tinie with the Praeses Elit Award might not be the same as watching him perform while you’re in black tie, freezing and inebriated. However, feel free to create that same experience for yourself for the virtual address. Nobody can judge you for the fact you are drunk in a tux at 11:30am on a Tuesday when you’re in the comfort of your own home.

Trinity Environmental Society and TCD Botanical Society are coming together this week to spread some sustainable Christmas cheer. They will be showing you how to use all the recyclable materials lying around your house to make Christmas decorations. Join online at 7pm to learn about how fun and easy a plastic-free Christmas can be!

Wednesday

Trinity Global Development Society has invited Catherine Woollard, the director of the European Council on Refugees and Exiles, to speak to the society on Wednesday at 5pm. Woollard will be discussing the humanitarian crises that asylum seekers are facing all over Europe. There will also be an opportunity to ask Woollard questions during the Q&A segment of the evening too.

As a part of Disability Awareness Week, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union and DU Music are set to collaborate on an interview with Craic Boi Mental on Wednesday evening. Craic Boi Mental is a rapper, producer and comedian hailing from Co Cork. At 7pm on Wednesday, he will be discussing his experiences of ableism in the music industry.

Thursday

Start your Thursday off the right way with a free yoga session. Trinity Yoga Society (YogaSoc) and Trinity Mature Student Society are joining forces to bring you some zen, this week at 10am. This event will be open to all, and the zoom link will be available from Yoga Soc’s Facebook page.