Decision on Semester Two Format To Be Made on January 4th, Says College

The government has announced level-five restrictions starting Christmas Eve as coronavirus cases spike.

Cormac WatsonEditor

Trinity plans to make a decision on the format that semester two will take on January 4th, amid fears of a new strain of coronavirus spreading across the country.

In late November, Trinity announced that it planned to increase the amount of face-to-face teaching in small group seminars next semester, while large lectures would remain online for the rest of the year.

In an email to staff and students this evening – signed by Vice-Provost Jürgen Barkhoff and Secretary to the College John Coman – Trinity said: “We had hoped and planned to confirm to you at this point our definite plans for teaching in semester 2 which begins on 1st February 2021, following on from the communication we sent at the end of November when the country exited level 5 restrictions.”

“The rapid increase in cases over the last few days and the increased uncertainty about the impact the new strain of the virus might have on public health guidelines and restrictions unfortunately has made this impossible and we have to ask you for a little more patience”, it continued.

A potentially more infectious strain of the coronavirus has began to spread across the United Kingdom, and has led to a raft of European countries – including Ireland – banning travel from the United Kingdom.

Meanwhile in Ireland, coronavirus cases have spiked in recent days leading to another level-five lockdown, lasting from Christmas Eve until at least 12 January.

The massive increases in cases were described as “simply not sustainable” today by Taoiseach Micheál Martin.

In recent months, Minister for Higher Education Simon Harris has pushed for more in-person teaching in universities.

The Irish Times reported that the Department of Higher Education is pushing for increased in-person teaching next semester, as fears mount about drop out numbers increasing.

According to the Irish Times, Harris said that his “priority going into the new year will be in increasing on-campus activity as much as we can and as safely as we can”, specifically targeting vulnerable groups that are more likely to drop out.

“I would like to see some more on-site activity for first and final-year students. We have started these discussions with colleges and it is my view we need to provide certainty as soon as is possible.”

In a recent survey carried out by College, 79 percent of the 6,000 students surveyed said that they would like more in-person teaching under level-three restrictions, and 64 per cent said they back more in-person classes under level five.