Newly Formed Student Renters’ Union Moots Rent Strike

Trinity College Dublin Renters’ Union was formed recently to advocate for better living conditions and lower rent for students.

Sárán FogartyNews Editor

Trinity College Dublin Renters’ Union, which was recently formed to advocate for student renters, has said that it hopes to organise a rent strike in the future.

The group also hopes to obtain endorsement from Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU).

Speaking to The University Times, spokesperson for the group Liam Kiernan said: “Certainly a rent strike is the most effective thing we can do. So that would be our goal – to organise one.”

On the prospect of a rent strike being held given the current restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic, Kiernan said: “Whether that’s possible this coming term or not we’re not really sure, but that would be our goal – to organise a rent strike.”

The group aims to serve as a representative group for both students renting on campus and those in the private rental market.

Asked if the group would be seeking society status, Kiernan said it “wouldn’t want anything to do with the College and that would completely impede what we’re trying to do”.

However the group may seek endorsement from TCDSU, he added. “We’d certainly like their endorsement. We haven’t really reached out to them and we haven’t explored that possibility yet. We certainly would be open to it.”

TCDSU council initially voted against adopting a stance supporting rent strikes organised by student activist group Cut the Rent.

After much debate, the union voted down a motion that would have mandated it to promote and participate in the group’s efforts to encourage students living on campus to withhold rent payments in January, as well as protecting students in the case of disciplinary action.

The group brought a revised motion to council later in the year, which the union voted to adopt, but the group ultimately opted not to go ahead with the rent strike, citing insufficient engagement from students.

The group’s other aims include seeking a 25 per cent rent reduction for the 2020-21 academic year followed by a permanent 10 per cent reduction and a commitment from College that students can terminate their tenancy without financial penalty for the duration of the coronavirus pandemic.

When asked whether TCDSU had failed to protect student renters, Kiernan said: “I’d say TCDSU is bound certainly by certain restrictions.”

“They can’t be too radical or too forceful in what they’re trying to achieve. So I’d say it definitely is helpful to have other organisations driving for better housing goals.”

“I’m not going to say that TCDSU has failed because we would like their support and we do want to work with them, but again it does help to have multiple organisations working for the same goal.”

A commitment from College that students won’t be disciplined for engaging in rent strikes or protesting is also being sought.

TCDRU will also be engaging with the Community Action Tenants Union “to provide some informational classes about the importance of collective action and what private renters can do to protect themselves” and will be “setting up a policy subcommittee to put forth real proposals to the College.”

The group is currently being run by an interim board with a view to holding an AGM before the end of the year.