Only ‘Most Essential Work’ to Take Place On Campus, Says Harris

The decision was made at a cabinet meeting earlier today on the recent surge in coronavirus cases.

Cormac WatsonEditor

Only the “most essential work” will be allowed to take place on university campuses, following recent restrictions announced by the government today.

There will be further restrictions to on-campus activities, and universities will continue to operate primarily online.

The cabinet today met to discuss the implications of a recent surge in coronavirus cases.

In a press statement after the meeting, Higher Education Minister Simon Harris said: “The COVID-19 situation is continuing to deteriorate significantly and we must all play our part.”

“During the immediate period ahead, third level institutions and providers will again adapt and use their existing discretion to restrict onsite attendance further, only allowing the most essential work to take place onsite. Local assessment will focus on activities that are not capable of being delivered through alternative means and are time-critical for students and learners during this period.”

“This has been an incredibly challenging year for our colleges, students, our community educators but we all must restrict our movements to stop the spread of COVID-19.”

Trinity will write to students by Friday with details on “how these new measures will affect second semester teaching, exams, assessments, access to the libraries and accommodation as well as research”, a College email to staff and students stated yesterday.

“Your safety is our priority and we are very aware of the delicate balance that we will have to strike between safety and accommodating student education”, it added.

Trinity also said that exams for the first semester will go ahead and that teaching will be delivered this semester.

In December, Trinity released the results of a survey that showed that 79 per cent of the 6,000 students surveyed said that they would like more in-person teaching under level-three restrictions, and 64 per cent said they back more in-person classes under level five.

In the email sent out with the survey, Vice-Provost Jürgen Barkhoff said: “As we plan for the next semester we want to bring you the best possible student experience while adhering to public health guidelines.”

“I am fully aware of the importance of face-to-face teaching and other in-person activities for the mental wellbeing and health of our student body, as are our colleagues in Student Counselling and College Health”, he added.

“The Minister for Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science also recognises that some students require additional support over and above that which can be provided online.”

A number of universities have announced that teaching will remain online for the rest of the academic year. University College Dublin has said that students will be able to finish out the academic year online, even if the university reopens some in-person classes.

Higher Education Minister Simon Harris was last year reportedly pushing for more in-person teaching next semester, as fears mount that substantial numbers of students could drop out of college.