All Goldsmith Hall Residents to be Tested After COVID Outbreak

Three residents in Goldsmith Hall have tested positive for coronavirus, as well as one case on main campus.

Cormac Watson and Emer Moreau

All Goldsmith Hall residents and support staff will receive a coronavirus test, after three positive cases of the virus were confirmed in the accommodation complex.

One case has also been confirmed on the main campus.

In a statement to The University Times, Catherine O’Mahony, a Trinity media relations officer, said that “close contacts of these cases have been contacted by HSE contact tracers and tested”, and that the tests would take place at the Aviva testing site.

“People need to follow all guidelines to minimise transmission of Covid-19”, she added.

“In addition to regular handwashing, cough etiquette, physical distancing and face coverings, it is critical that people from different apartments do not meet up socially and that no one enters an apartment where they are not residing.”

“Anyone who develops symptoms should self-isolate and contact College Health.”

Yesterday, the College Health Service said it was experiencing a “significant increase” in the number of people presenting with coronavirus-like symptoms.

In an email to residents, Dr David McGrath, the director of the College Health Service, said: “I would strongly encourage you to familiarise yourself with the current regulations issued by the Government regarding Covid-19.”

“There has been a significant increase in people presenting to College Health with Covid-19 type symptoms”, McGrath said, “in addition to a number of positive cases on Campus”.

“In particular, in addition to regular handwashing, cough etiquette, physical distancing and face coverings, it is critical that people from different apartments do not meet up socially and that no one enters an apartment where they are not residing.”

In light of this increase, the Accommodation Office asked residents in a separate email to confirm whether they were staying on campus last night or this evening.

Speaking to The University Times, O’Mahony said the Accommodation Office was “seeking to get a full picture of who is on campus”.

On January 20th, Trinity announced that students who have arrived in College accommodation but decide to return home for semester two between January 24th and February 28th will only be charged to the date that they leave their room.

Those arriving into College accommodation for the first time will be released without penalty from their license.

Students who terminate their license agreements before February 28th will not be charged administration fees. Those who lived in College accommodation last semester will be charged up to January 23rd.

Aoife Kearins also contributed reporting to this piece.