Law Day, Panel Discussions and Éigse na Tríonóide: Your Week Ahead

Fadas and seanfhocail at the ready, as Éigse na Tríonóide runs all this week.

Maitiú Charleton and Róise Hannan
Róisín Power for The University Times

Éigse na Tríonóide was first run in 1973, and every year since, the Irish language community in college have used it as an opportunity to come together and celebrate all things Gaelic, from the language to the culture. As you might suspect, the pandemic isn’t putting a stop to any historical or cultural festivities this week. There’s a huge range of events planned, from music and workshops, to debates and talks, mostly with a special focus on Irish, but if you aren’t a gael-aficionado, there’s plenty for you too.

Organising this jam-packed week of events is Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union’s (TCDSU) Irish Language Officer Gretchen Ganly, in conjunction with Cumann Gaelach. According to Ciara Ní Mhurchú, auditor of the cumann, it is “especially important this year that there are various opportunities available for people to take a break from the Covid news or course work and spend time with friends and try out new fun things, and Éigse is surely part of that this year!”

Dé Luain

Éigse kicks off with a conversation circle on Zoom at 11am. At 1pm, there will be a formal service, complemented by some fancy music to remind you that, despite studying from home, you are still very much a Trinner. At 2pm, you can free yourself from tradition and let loose in a pilates class. This should warm you up for a tantalising game of bingo at 5pm, where only luck can win you one of the excellent prizes provided by Cumann Gaelach and TCDSU.

That night, the week’s official launch event will begin at 7pm, with panelists discussing “Irish and the next generation”. The panelists for the evening will include Kitty Ní Houlihán, drag queen and LGBTQ+ activist, Dr Eoin Mac Cárthaigh of Trinity’s Irish language department and gael-influencer and Trinity alumnus Megan O’Connor, or “Muinteoir Meg” as she is known from her Instagram.

Dé Máirt

Mar a deir an seanfhocal, tús maith leath na hoibre. With this in mind, start your day the right way with a coffee morning at 11am. For those with a flare for history, Trinity graduates and former members of Cumman Gaelach Muireann Nic Corcráin and Ciarán Wadd will be giving a lecture on “The History of the Irish Language at Trinity College” at 1pm. After all, to know your future, you must know your past – that’s probably enough sayings for one day.

If a jig is the way to your heart, drop in to TradSoc’s Tune Workshop, in association with Cumann Gaelach at 3pm. But if you would prefer to write articles than songs, our very own Jennifer Ní Chiara will be conducting a writing workshop at 5pm, where she will speak about Irish language journalism and The University Times. If you’re reading this, then come along and, who knows, you could end up writing for UT instead of just reading it.

You’ll have lots to choose from at 7pm. To stick with the Gaelic, come along to DU Music and Trinity Literary Society’s collaboration, “Cúirt Éigse”, where there will be no shortage of creative stimulation through Irish music and literature. If you want to go in a different direction, why not check out the Society of International Affairs’ (SOFIA) final event of their series examining the legacy of the Arab Spring. This installment will focus on what happened in Egypt during the uprising ten years ago. DU Vegan Society will also be getting political at 7pm, with guest speakers talking about the link between socialism and veganism.

Dé Céadaoin

At 1pm on Wednesday, Cumann Gaelach will be joining forces with their Gaelic brethren from the University of Glasgow Ossianic Society to host a singing workshop, or “Song Craft”, based on traditional Irish and Gaelic song. At 4pm, Daniel Twomey, our favourite Irish health expert, will be running a wellness workshop to help you beat the midterm slump.

Trinity’s Irish-speaking community have recently begun a campaign calling on college to fix the inaccessible Irish room. At 7pm on Wednesday, the Irish Residency Scheme will host a discussion to this end. Speakers will include Niamh Ní Hoirbheaird, TCDSU Disability Officer, and Harry O’Brien, Ability Co-Op representative, and they will be discussing accessibility more generally, while also addressing its role in the world of Irish.

If you’ve been having fun attending language society events this year, perhaps it has inspired you to get involved yourself. The French Society is looking for a Language Officer, and all you have to do is send an email to [email protected] to put yourself forward.

Déardaoin

Although the week is winding down, if you’ve missed out on brushing up on your Irish skills so far, fret not because there is still time. At 6pm, DU Modern Languages, Europa and the Global Room are running a social over Zoom to refresh your language skills, and people skills too, through some light-hearted games and activities.

Say languages aren’t your thing, but you’re still looking to flex your talent on the Trinity population, TCD Jazz Society are looking for submissions for its Women’s Week concert. Send a video of yourself playing “something wonderful and jazzy” to jazz.csc.tcd.ie to get involved.

In contrast to that, DU Computer Science Society (DUCSS) are having a Microsoft Stories event at 5:30pm where you can hear from three people who started their engineering career with Microsoft either during or right after finishing third level. Speakers include Rob Leonard, Marta Lobo de Pablos and Prapti Setty. Who knows, maybe you’ll be the one coming in for a talk at DUCSS in a few years time.

For now you can attend what’s said to be “one of LawSoc’s biggest days of the year”, at least according to Trinity Law Society (LawSoc)’s Ents Officer Ruth Brady. It’s “Law Day” on Thursday and the society has it jam-packed with a comedy debate, an exciting coffee promotion, an event with your favourite law lecturers a Pilates class and – on Friday – Bingo Loco to look forward to. What’s more, donations go to the mental health charity Tribe! All the information about the day can be found on LawSoc’s social media. Go get ‘em, Elle Woods!

Dé hAoine

Rumours circulating college-wide are suggesting that if every student in Trinity is not fluent in Irish (or indeed any new language courtesy of DU Modern Languages) by Friday, everyone will get a first. That needs to be fact checked. Regardless, if you’re the type who enjoys fact-checking missions, the swansong event of the week will be Cumann Gaelach and the College Historical Society (the Hist)’s 7pm debate with a host of the best Irish language orators the college can muster up. The motion is “This House Believes the Government Should Increase Arts Funding During the Pandemic”. And, you guessed it – it’s as Gaeilge!