Numbers With COVID-Like Symptoms Increasing, Says College Health Service

College has urged its residents to avoid meeting with people from different apartments.

Emer Moreau and Cormac Watson

The College Health Service is experiencing a “significant increase” in the number of people presenting with coronavirus-like symptoms, with a number of positive cases on campus recently.

In an email to residents, Dr David McGrath, the director of the College Health Service, said: “I would strongly encourage you to familiarise yourself with the current regulations issued by the Government regarding Covid-19.”

“There has been a significant increase in people presenting to College Health with Covid-19 type symptoms”, McGrath said, “in addition to a number of positive cases on Campus”.

“In particular, in addition to regular handwashing, cough etiquette, physical distancing and face coverings, it is critical that people from different apartments do not meet up socially and that no one enters an apartment where they are not residing.”

In light of this increase, the Accommodation Office asked residents in a separate email to confirm whether they are staying on campus tonight or tomorrow.

Speaking to The University Times, Trinity media relations officer Catherine O’Mahony said the Accommodation Office is “seeking to get a full picture of who is on campus”.

Students should contact the College Health Service if they experience common symptoms of coronavirus infection, including fever, cough, shortness of breath, or loss of sense of taste or smell.

On January 20th, Trinity announced that students who have arrived in College accommodation but decide to return home for semester two between January 24th and February 28th will only be charged to the date that they leave their room.

Those arriving into College accommodation for the first time will be released without penalty from their license.

Students who terminate their license agreements before February 28th will not be charged administration fees. Those who lived in College accommodation last semester will be charged up to January 23rd.

Additional costs will apply to students who left their belongings behind when they vacated their accommodation in semester one, intending to return in semester two.

An email to residents – signed by Head of Accommodation Neal Murphy and Registrar of Chambers Philip Coleman – said that students should “consider carefully whether you need to live in College accommodation. The fewer people there are in residence the lower the likelihood of transmission of the virus and the better we will be able to care for those who may become unwell while in residence”.

“If you have already returned to Trinity Hall or Campus accommodation or if you are about to do so, you may of course stay in residence. If you wish to engage in your course from home for Semester 2 and give up your College accommodation then we also understand that decision and will support it.”