College Makes Deck Chairs Available to Students Sitting Outside on Campus

Socially distanced markers have been painted in the squares to indicate how far away from each other students should sit.

Cormac WatsonEditor
Cormac Watson for The University Times

Students will now be able to sit on deck chairs provided by College in Fellows’ Square, Library Square and Front Square, as Dublin is hit with a burst of sunny weather.

The deck chairs appeared today, and can be taken out of designated boxes in Fellows’ Square and Front Square.

Students can use the chairs from 9am to 7pm. The boxes are kitted out with wipes to clean the chair once students are finished with them.

Last week, mysterious circles began to proliferate around Front Square, Library Square and Fellows’ Square, all two metres apart from each other. College has now confirmed that these circles are social-distancing markers to show those sitting in the squares how far away from each other they are.

The sunny weather has drawn increased numbers of students to campus this week, many of them congregating on the steps outside the Dining Hall.

However, many students have now migrated away from the steps to the grass in Front Square. Students can also be seen dotted around College Park.

Speaking to The University Times, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union President (TCDSU) Eoin Hand said: “We at TCDSU are delighted to see the deck chairs being put out. This is something we brought up as a mitigation measure against congregation during lunchtime on the Dining Hall steps, so we’re delighted to see socially distanced circles being put out and deck chairs put out to accommodate people having safe, enjoyable lunches, especially as the weather is getting nicer.”

“The keep off the grass signs have been removed as well, which gives more of Trinity’s space back to students. It’s a fantastic thing to see”, he added.

College students have avoided some of the government’s harsher restrictions. The Library on campus has remained opened to students, and many students still have laboratory practicals. The Buttery has also remained open for takeaway meals.

Students are currently able to spend a maximum of one hour and 45 minutes in the same seat in the Library, in line with recent public health advice, which states that “if an individual were to develop COVID-19, any person who has spent a cumulative period of more than two hours during a 24 hour period in an enclosed space with that person would be considered a close contact and would be required to self-isolate for 14 days”. There is also a 25-hour limit on booking per week.