John Gunn’s Camera Shop Celebrates 50 Years of Spreading Joy

An outdoor photography exhibition 'Spread Joy' adorns the length of Wexford St to mark the occasion.

Caoimhe WeakliamDeputy Radius Editor
Peter O'Doherty

While Wexford St grows ever quieter under lockdown, a friendly energy still emanates from the landmark that is John Gunn’s Camera Shop. Behind closed doors, it continues to cater to the film development needs of the city, and now, in celebration of 50 years in business, it began showcasing an outdoor exhibition entitled “Spread Joy” – with the intention of doing just that.

The bright orange front of John Gunn’s Camera Shop is a familiar sight for many: the experienced film camera enthusiasts, digital filmmakers, family photograph hoarders, those who religiously bring a disposable to festivals to see what momentous shots may materialise. But what attracts returning faces to John Gunn’s goes far beyond any product or service. The family-run business is known for its welcoming, social atmosphere – any regular will tell you of their delightful encounters with John and the staff. There is a palpable love for photography and for people as soon as one walks in.

It is no surprise, then, that having set up an Instagram account earlier this year, the store has already accumulated over 3,000 followers. There has been particular affection shared across the platform for John himself, his customers delighting at his entrance into the social media world, especially since a heart-warming visit to his second home is a pleasure not permitted during lockdown.

Speaking with The University Times, the man himself unveils the story of how 50 years in business began. A young Gunn picked up an interest in photography from his father and older brother, he tells me, who helped him get a job working in the photography department of Roche’s Pharmacy. When a property advertisement for an old shoe repair shop on Pleasant St was spotted by his wife Louise, they took the plunge and set up their own premises. Gunn describes the “marvellous” sequence of events that fell perfectly into place, from stumbling upon the property and attaining it for a lower price than advertised, to finding an electrician willing to fit the shop for nothing. “We were very lucky as our customers found out where we were, and they followed us and put us into business.”

The origins of the shop could even be regarded as fate, as Gunn was due to emigrate to Australia with Louise before the prospect of opening a shop first revealed itself. “My mother-in-law, who was not happy about this at all, got down her statue of St. Joseph and she started praying” he remembers, “and there can be no doubt about it that it was her prayers that put us into business, because too many perfect things happened and coincided”. So, we may all thank St. Joseph that this beloved cameraman wasn’t lost to the Aussies!

The shop, of course, doesn’t reside on Pleasant St any longer, having relocated to its current Wexford St premises in December, 1980. Gunn clearly recalls opening this new shop – the very same day John Lennon was shot dead on December 8th.

He describes his walk through the city streets after hearing the tragic news: “All the shops I passed were playing The Beatles’ music, and it all sounded out of tune, which of course it wasn’t. My head was out of tune from the shock of hearing that John Lennon had been shot, because I was a great Beatles fan.”

The days since, however, have been kind to Gunn’s humble shop, and it has garnered an unchallenged legacy as Dublin’s favourite camera store. Celebrating 50 years in business this year, the social owners would have loved nothing more than to connect with their customers in person, but instead they have arranged to do so in perhaps a more poignant way.

An exhibition of photography submissions entitled “Spread Joy” will adorn the length of Wexford St until tomorrow in celebration of 50 years spent sharing the art of photography. The hope is to simply “brighten up Wexford street for everyone who needs a little joy right now”, the family business states on their Instagram page.

The exhibition has been curated by Ishmael Claxton, an experienced photographer, who is originally from New York, and includes work from the hundreds of customers around the country, who responded to the shop’s call for submissions on Instagram. Gunn expressed his delight at the “terrific response from photographers who want to be represented”.

For those not fortunate enough to live within 5km of the city centre, or unable to take a stroll down Wexford St on a break from the library, the shop has also been sharing the submitted work on their Instagram page to ensure no one misses out on the collaboration. There was no set theme for submissions, meaning that the range of work beautifully captures diverse snippets of life. Claxton will also be working alongside fellow photographer Eoin Mulligan to produce a short film of the exhibition, with the aim of bringing life to the event that some will only be able to view virtually.

Throughout our conversation, Gunn seeks to ensure that credit is given to his two daughters, Cathy and Fiona, for the immense work they have put into the exhibition and the shop more generally. “All I’m good for at the moment, I’m afraid, is emptying out the bins – but I am good at that!”, he tells me with a laugh. Asked about his newfound Insta-fame, he explains that Cathy and Fiona are also his personal managers in the online realm: “I really only figurehead the place – the girls run the whole show!”

After 50 years at the helm of Dublin’s fondest camera hub, Gunn has no plans to step back any time soon. “People for a long time have asked me “any plans to retire?”, but it’s so important to be able to meet people – people are what it’s all about” he iterates. John Gunn’s love of interacting with customers is evidently on par with his love of photography, and his camera shop has married the two in perfect harmony for half a century now – and we hope for centuries to come.