Three Cases of Coronavirus Confirmed in Trinity Hall

The Warden of Halls has urged residents to ‘redouble their efforts at handwashing, social distancing and mask wearing’.

Sárán FogartyNews Editor

Three cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in Trinity Hall in the past week, while a number of other students are awaiting results for coronavirus tests, College announced on Thursday.

In an email to Halls residents, Dr Roja Fazaeli, Warden of Trinity Hall said: “I am asking everyone to redouble their efforts at handwashing, social distancing and mask wearing.”

“It should go without saying that the rules stipulating no gatherings, no non-residents, and no moving between apartments continue to be in effect.”

“The Warden team is first and foremost here to support you. There will never be any disciplinary referrals arising from Covid-19 communication, only gratitude for helping to protect your neighbours and ensuring that contact tracing is thorough and accurate.”

Fazaeli also reminded residents that the Trini-Screen Programme – the coronavirus screening service for staff and students – is still available for residents of Halls.

Halls residents have been urged to contact the Accommodation Office or their assistant warden if they are scheduled for a coronavirus test, if they are self-isolating or if they are restricting their movements.

In early February, a total of 10 people contracted coronavirus after an outbreak in Goldsmith Hall.

Initially, three residents in Goldsmith Hall were confirmed to have tested positive for the virus, leading College to organise tests for all residents and support staff there. One other person living on the main campus tested positive.

In an email statement to The University Times in February, Trinity media relations officer Catherine O’Mahony said: “I can confirm that ten people tested positive arising from the Goldsmith Hall outbreak – not all were residents of the Hall.”

“It’s our policy in the interest of student and staff privacy not to comment on individual COVID cases aside from those relating to an outbreak”, she added.

Last month, the College Health Service said it was experiencing a “significant increase” in the number of people presenting with coronavirus-like symptoms.

In an email to residents, Dr David McGrath, the director of the College Health Service, said: “I would strongly encourage you to familiarise yourself with the current regulations issued by the Government regarding Covid-19.”