Trinity’s Head of Facilities and Services Convicted of Sexual Assault

Brendan Leahy pleaded guilty to the assault, which occured in Kehoe’s pub in 2018.

Cormac WatsonEditor

Trinity’s Head of Facilities and Services Brendan Leahy has received a suspended sentence for sexually assaulting a woman in Kehoe’s Pub in 2018.

Breakingnews.ie today reported that Leahy was given a three-month sentence, which was suspended on the condition that he completes a sex offenders education course, pays a €1,000 fine and gives an additional €1,000 to the victim.

The victim was an American tourist who was on a pub tour, led by Leahy, with her fiancée. At the time, the pair were staying in Leahy’s spare bedroom, which he used as an Airbnb.

On the night in question, Breakingnews.ie reported that Leahy, who was drunk, brought the victim to a hatch area in the pub, where he grabbed her waist from behind and thrust into her “four or five times”. CCTV footage was also shown in the court.

The incident was reported to Pearse St garda station that night and the pair moved out of Leahy’s apartment into a hotel.

The woman did not have to return to Ireland to give evidence because Leahy pleaded guilty. However, she wrote a victim impact statement which was read out in court.

In the statement, the victim said that she suffered from flashbacks to the incident, and has had panic attacks as a result. She also found it difficult to sleep and it affected her concentration levels in work.

Breakingnews.ie also reported that she felt self-loathing and self-blame, which led to difficulties with intimacy in her relationship. She now attends counselling and is on anti-anxiety medication.

Leahy told the Gardaí two months after the incident that he had no recollection of it due to intoxication. He cooperated with the investigation and has had no previous criminal convictions.

According to Breakingnews.ie, his solicitor said that Leahy was “absolutely devastated” and remorseful, and in pleading guilty had wanted to avoid causing more trauma to the woman as she would have had to give evidence.

Leahy stopped renting out the room after the assault and has been ordered by the court to no longer use Airbnb.

Speaking to The University Times this evening, Tom Molloy, Trinity’s director of public affairs and communications, said: “The verdict was only reached a few hours ago. We now have to consider the implications and we will do this. Everybody is entitled to due process.”

Leahy did not respond to a request for comment by the time of publication.

If you have been affected by, or would like to discuss issues concerning sexual assault or non-consensual behaviour, you can contact the Welfare Officer of Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union by emailing [email protected]. Emergency appointments with the Student Counselling Service are also available. You can phone Niteline, the student listening service, every night of term from 9pm–2:30am on 1800 793 793, or the Samaritans at any time on 116 123. The Dublin Rape Crisis Centre can be reached at 1800 778 888.