With ‘Home’, the Abbey Puts Survivor Testimonies Centre Stage

Home, a production which will explore the history of Mother and Homes in Ireland, will be broadcast on St. Patrick’s Day at 7pm.

Sáoirse GoesContributing Writer

The publication of the final report by the Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes in January uncovered shocking truths about the living conditions and widespread infant mortality within these Irish institutions. Following the report and the State apology issued by Taoiseach Micheál Martin comes Home, a direct response on behalf of the Abbey Theatre that focuses “on the testimonies of survivors”, broadcast symbolically on St. Patrick’s Day.

In an interview with The University Times, Laura Murphy spoke about her experiences and involvement in the project. The marketing and communications strategist and, significantly, the daughter of a survivor, was struck by the impersonal nature of the State apology and its damaging effect to survivors, leaving them with more pain in its “whitewashing of trauma”.

Originally intended as a “cathartic exercise” to “express through writing the pain and energy [she] felt after the apology”, Murphy wrote an open letter to the Taoiseach on behalf of Mná ná hÉireann. In the letter, she urged for a retraction of the element condemning the occurrences in the Mother and Baby Homes as a consequence of how “society acted” at the time.

When her open letter was published in the Irish Examiner in February, Murphy’s message was met with what she deemed to be a “ubiquitous and unanimous positive response”, leading to an invitation on behalf of the Abbey Theatre to participate in Home. Home will see survivor testimonies read by some of Ireland’s leading actors and public figures, including Murphy’s reading of her open letter.

According to Murphy, Home, a production which comes at the time of increased pain and trauma, is a “powerful healing force”. “To have the voices of survivors broadcast to the world,” she continued, “on our national day of commemoration, from our national stage, is deeply symbolic,” giving the survivors a sense of being listened to, respected and supported. She states that the significance of Home further lies in its “alchemising pain into healing and distortion into truth.”

Speaking about her own story in relation to Home, Murphy described this as a “seminal moment of healing” which simultaneously enabled her to realise a lifelong dream. When she told her mother about the invitation to read her open letter from the Abbey stage, Murphy recalled how “her shoulders lifted and her face beamed”.

The production’s power, according to Murphy, is as “a platform for expression, for listening and for healing at a time that has never been more needed”. Home throws the ball back to society, providing a forum for audiences to engage with this history, while offering a platform for survivors’ testimonies and experiences to be heard and actively listened to.

Additionally, the symbolic quality connoted in broadcasting the performance on St. Patrick’s Day links back to Murphy’s letter. In the letter, Laura advocated to make St. Brigid’s Day, February 1st, a national day of commemoration. Setting this day as one honouring survivors would provide a striking reminder of the consequences of “omitting the feminine from society and from the collective psyche,” while, Murphy explained, looking towards a “new Ireland with Brigid’s values”, intermingling her “energy of healing, inspiration and equality”.

According to Murphy, audiences can expect an opportunity to connect with the truth and the emotion of the survivors’ experiences and the trauma they carry with them. This production will also help audiences to better understand the truths of Irish history, the impact of its colonial legacy, of religion and of the consequences of omitting the feminine from society. Murphy described Home as “a harrowing, beautiful and poignant watch,” where “listeners will be providing a healing opportunity for the survivors”.

Home will stream on the Abbey Theatre’s YouTube channel at 7pm on March 17th and will be available to watch back until July 17th.