College to Allow Staff and Students to Pre-Book Time Slot to Get Buttery Takeaway

Due to the current country-wide level five restrictions, indoor dining remains unavailable.

Jody DruceSenior Staff Writer

College today announced that starting Monday, staff and students will be allowed to access campus for the purpose of purchasing takeaway food from the Buttery.

Students will need to book a 15-minute “grab ‘n’ go” timeslot and show their booking to security in order to gain access to campus.

Since the beginning of this academic year, students have been able to buy food from the Buttery with a 50 per cent discount if they use their T-card.

The change was announced in an email this afternoon to staff and students.

In a statement to The University Times, Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union President Eoin Hand said: “I am delighted to see this come to fruition – this is something I proposed yesterday as a way to allow more students to avail of campus services. It was great to get the Provost’s support in making this happen so quickly after the initial proposal last Thursday.”

“After lobbying for the increased opening of campus, I am also happy to say college have agreed to re-open the science gallery gate”, he added.

The Science Gallery entrance on Pease St will also open from Monday. Its opening hours will be 6.30am to 8pm, Monday to Friday and 8am to 7pm on the weekend.

Aside from those getting takeaway food from the Buttery, campus is currently open to residents, essential researchers, students with pre-booked time slots in the library or study spaces, students in in-person classes or practicals, essential staff and pre-approved visitors.

This Monday will also see College library opening hours extended.

The Berkeley, Lecky, Ussher and Hamilton libraries will be open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, and counter services will be open from 11am to 3pm. Opening times after May 24th will be 9.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Kinsella Hall will be open from 9am until 10pm from Monday to Friday, and from 8am to 10pm on weekends.The John Stearne Medical Library will be open from 9.30am until 4pm, Monday to Friday, while the 1937 Reading Room will remain open from 8am until 10pm, Monday to Sunday.

Manuscripts and Archives and Early Printed Books will be open in the Old Library two days a week from 10.30am to 12.15pm and 1.15pm to 3pm. Students must make an appointment to access the reading rooms at these times.

Finally, the Map Library will be open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2pm until 3.45pm.

The HSE will begin to administer vaccines on campus from next week. Trinity this week asked staff and students to inform them if they are part of the group four or group seven cohorts.