Rainn Wilson, Mary Robinson and Society AGMs: Your Week Ahead

Plenty of societies will be running their AGMs this week to elect next year’s committees.

Maitiú CharletonAssistant Societies Editor

If you want to prioritise your mental wellbeing don’t read the next sentence. How’s studying for exams going? Now that we’re done with pleasantries, and you’ve lied to me, we can move on. You’re here to learn about the amazing events Trinity’s clubs and societies are holding this week, so let’s get to that. At least you’ll be getting a first in Zoom socialising!

Monday

How long are you going to keep up the charade that you want to be a corporate lawyer? Regardless, you have a chance to maintain this front to your parents at 6pm on Monday, as DU Law Society will host a careers information evening. This information session focuses specifically on qualifying in England and Wales, for those who want to explore their options further afield. Monday doesn’t have much else to offer – apart from your lectures, so watch them.

Tuesday

Do you regret not getting more involved in societies this year? Well regret no more! You can ensure the next academic year is jam-packed by joining a committee! Many of Trinity’s societies are actively recruiting committee members and officers right now, including the College Historical Society (the Hist). At 12pm, for newbies to public speaking or anyone else who misses the sound of their own voice, the society is holding its last Derby of Rhetoric of the year, where speakers can talk about anything and everything for seven minutes.

Similarly, Trinity Trad Soc is hosting an info session at 1:30pm on how best to get involved in the society next year. Whether you’re new to the tin whistle or have been playing the harp since you were able to hold it, the society’s AGM is on Thursday at 7pm and everyone is encouraged to attend.

Wednesday

In preparation for a busy Thursday, you can take Wednesday easy, unless you’re a photography fanatic. DU Photo Association (DUPA) is holding their AGM at 6pm. At 7:30pm, the Hist will have one of their last weekly debates of the year, and the motion isn’t one to disappoint: This House Regrets the Belief in Free Will.

Thursday

You will have hoped you had watched your week’s lectures by Thursday as you might not have much free time if you want to attend all the interesting events occurring throughout the day. First you can head over to TCD’s Law Gazette The Eagle’s Zoom meeting to elect the editorial board of the publication. Anyone interested in running for a position can contact outgoing editor Samantha Tancredi by 12pm.

After lunch, QSoc is hosting a trans and non-binary closed space at 2pm for the community to chat openly, e-socialise and connect in a comfortable environment. At 4:30pm, DU Amnesty have a very exciting event, with #DecoloniseYourDegree. In partnership with the Union of Students in Ireland, DU Amnesty will discuss what decolonising education really means – liberating minds from exclusionary ways of thinking, and, ultimately, addressing broader social issues of injustice. The event will be facilitated by Larissa Kennedy and Hamsavani Rajeswaren.

At five minutes to 7pm (a first for my tenure in this article series) Trinity Vincent de Paul (VDP) has one of their biggest events of the year. As part of VDP’s Social Justice Book Club Month, Former President of Ireland and former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Mary Robinson will speak about her book Climate Justice. As well as being one of Barack Obama’s favourite books, it’s one of mine (two great minds, I know).

If you like your environmentalism cruelty-free, be sure to attend DU Vegan Society’s AGM at 7:30pm. It starts just half an hour into VDP’s event, so get your younger sibling’s iPad out.

Friday

Seeing as you’ve made it all the way to the end of this article, you either really, really, really should be studying, or have seen the headline, or indeed both. Trinity College Law Society (LawSoc) will host someone who plays a character which represents every LawSoc alumni ten years after graduating college. Actor Rainn Wilson of the culture reset that was The Office will join the society via, you guessed it, Zoom at 8pm.