Sam the Fox Gives Birth to Cubs

Trinity posted a video on Twitter of Sam the Fox with her cubs yesterday.

Sárán Fogarty and Cormac Watson
Sam the Fox and her cubs.

Sam – Trinity’s resident fox and campus favourite – gave birth to cubs this week.

In an email statement to The University Times, Thomas Deane, a Trinity media relations officer, said: “So many people have been following the Sam and Prince story closely over the past few weeks, so we are delighted to see the next chapter begin so happily.”

“Everyone is grateful for little nuggets of heartening news at the moment and Sam and her cubs are continuing to prove a very welcome distraction for many.”

“There have been lots of examples of wildlife thriving across a variety of ecosystems and habitats over the past few months and we are thrilled to see Sam and her cubs doing so well at Trinity”, he added.

Deane said that Sam gave birth to five cubs.

“Nature can have a hugely positive impact on us all, and especially so at present. Thanks to social media updates plenty of people are getting lots of enjoyment from keeping pace with our furry residents’ comings and goings.”

A video of the cubs was posted on Twitter yesterday that shows Sam and her cubs enjoying the unusual quiet of campus.

Sam has had a checkered year, but things seem to be looking up for Trinity’s resident fox.

Earlier this year, Sam faced a period of recovery following an incident with a bus.

In a video posted on College’s Instagram page, Collie Ennis of the Department of Zoology said that Sam had been “clipped by a bus” coming out of the back gate of Trinity, a danger that “a lot of urban foxes will face”.

However, he said, “the good news is that she was limping for about a week or two, and then slowly she started to put weight down on her paw again”.

“We were supposed to capture her and maybe get her treated but it wasn’t necessary in the end.”

“So the great news for Christmas is that she’s going to be tucking into some leftover turkey from some of the security guards and mail service people on the campus”, he added.

A reporter from The University Times spotted Sam the Fox shortly after the incident near the GMB, and could confirm that she appeared healthy and was moving stealthily.