Sustainable Fashion, Online Balls and a Nightclub Recreation: Your Week Ahead

On Thursday, DU Players, DU Dance, Trad Soc, Trinity Musical Theatre and Trinity FM will collaborate to recreate a club night online.

Maitiú Charleton Assistant Societies Editor

It’s the last week of term. How do you feel? Are you excited? Have any of your relatives gotten the vaccine yet? There’s lots to be happy about as the college year wraps up in advance of exams, including the exciting events Trinity’s clubs and societies have in store for you this week.

Monday

To kick off your final week of term, cosy up in your favourite chair and read an article from The Eagle. Blake Stephens’s piece “Do the Ends Justify the Means? A Study into Mandatory Hotel Quarantine” will hopefully help you better understand MHQ in Ireland and equip you with some hot takes to dish out at family dinner.

Indeed, if you’re a law-head, or fancy yourself as one after reading the above article, you should know that Trinity College Law Society (LawSoc) is hosting their annual Law Ball at 8pm. You’ll be expected to arrive dressed to impress to see who is crowned this year’s Law King and Queen. LawSoc has organised four different breakout rooms for attendees including a cocktail bar, a matchmaking room with host Leesha Curtis and a Trinder collaboration room with social secretary Ruth Brady.

Tuesday

Your Tuesday morning is thankfully free, giving you time to recover from Law Ball and gear up for another one. This time it is le haghaidh Gaeilgóirí Trionóide an Bál. Cumann Gaelach’s Bál Gaelach 2021, like Law Ball the day before, will be held on Zoom with special breakout rooms. Deirtear go mbeidh seomra damhsa, gradaim, seomra DJ is gach uile Gaeilgóir ann, even if they only have cúpla focal.

Wednesday

You and your black tie (from the waist up) will need a break from society balls on Wednesday. At 2pm, you can go to DU Languages final Language Café of the year – and perhaps its final online iteration! So if you haven’t whipped out your Duolingo skills on a DU Languages’ Zoom yet, what are you waiting for?

At 6pm, DU Amnesty will collaborate with UCD Amnesty and other university societies across Ireland for a panel discussion on sustainable fashion. The panel will discuss the circular economy, upcycling and the human and environmental cost of the fast fashion industry. During the event, prizes will also be awarded to winners of the art competition running this week based around the theme: “Who made my clothes?”

A few hours later, at 9pm, DU Players, DU Dance, Trad Soc, Trinity Musical Theatre and Trinity FM will host a nightclub recreation event on Zoom – in case you’re feeling nostalgic for another kind of social event you used to always complain about. Similar to the online balls earlier in the week, the night will happen across various breakout rooms – and this time hopefully with the added dramatic magic of a Players event and a few tunes from our friends at Trad Soc.

Thursday

The sole event we can recommend for you on the last Thursday of this term is Q Soc’s destress evening at 7pm. As exams season approaches, it’s always great to have an opportunity to unwind in a fun way and Q Soc will provide that with music, games, tarot readings and a friendly environment.

Friday

The last day of the academic year for most students doesn’t include any events from our clubs and societies. So go outside and enjoy some sunshine, and do a press-up or two to prepare your tricep for that vaccine!