TCD BDS Group to Hold ‘Socially Distanced’ Rally on Saturday

A larger rally in solidarity with Palestinians was due to be held this weekend, but was cancelled by the organising group, the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign.

Mairead MaguireJunior Editor
Alex Connolly for The University Times.

The TCD BDS campaign group will hold a rally this Saturday, despite the cancellation of a larger solidarity protest due to potential breaches of social distancing rules.

The Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign had organised a rally to protest recent violence against Palestinians, but the group has since cancelled the protest.

However, TCD BDS has decided to go ahead with its own rally, encouraging all attendees to socially distance and wear masks.

Conflict between Hamas and Israel has escalated over the course of the past week. As of this morning, the Washington Post reported that Israeli attacks have killed 69 Gazans so far, including 16 children. Hamas attacks have so far killed six Israelis, including one teenage girl.

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union Communications Officer Philly Holmes confirmed to The University Times that he would be attending on behalf of the union.

In a press statement today, TCD BDS said: “The IPSC has cancelled its rally on Saturday in support of Palestine due to legal threats from the gardaí that they may fine and prosecute organisers for breach of COVID-19 regulations.”

“The TCD BDS campaign has decided to go ahead with a rally at 2pm on Saturday at the Spire. The rally will be socially distanced and participants must wear masks.”

“We will be going ahead with our own socially distanced rally, as we feel that a message needs to be sent to the Irish Government that they must take action on the horrific persecution of Palestinians, and we will not stand for their complacency.”

The rally has been organised to take place on Nakba Day, which commemorates the displacement of Palestinians.

Between 1947 and 1949, about 750,000 Palestinians out of a population of 1.9 million were expelled from their homes to clear the way for new Jewish immigrants.

TheJournal.ie reported today that the original solidarity rally was cancelled after Gardaí warned the organisers about breaching coronavirus regulations. Under current guidelines, no more than 15 people can attend a gathering outdoors.

The Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) movement works to end international support for Israel in the context of the country’s treatment of Palestinians.

In 2018, students voted for Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) to support the BDS campaign.

The long-term policy mandates the union to support the movement and “comply with the principles of BDS in all union shops, trade, business and other union operations” and to lobby College and the Government to adopt a policy of boycott, divestment and sanction of Israel.

The long-term policy would also see the introduction of a boycott, divestment and sanction implementation group within the union.