TCDSU to Launch Rapid HIV Self-Testing Service Tomorrow

The union will roll out a limited number of test kits each week, which will be available via its website.

Emer MoreauDeputy Editor

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU)  will tomorrow launch a HIV self-testing service, with kits available through the union’s website.

The union has secured 500 rapid test kits, and will make a maximum of 100 kits available per week, “to ensure everyone has a fair and equitable chance” to access one if they need it.

In a press statement, the union’s Communications Officer Philly Holmes said: “With the short term provision of 500 BioSURE Rapid HIV testing kits, we hope that Trinity Students will have better access to safe non-judgemental HIV screening without financial burden.”

“We hope that the provision of and demand for these testing kits amongst our students will act as a clear case study into the need for effective, accessible testing and we hope to maintain our close ties with HIV Ireland so that these kits can help to inform their policies going forward.”

The service will launch at midday tomorrow.

The test takes approximately 15 minutes to complete, with the result coming up either “reactive” or “negative”. If a test comes back as reactive the person taking it may have HIV, but they will need to go to a clinic to confirm their status, as the test may have been a false positive. The test kits also may not be able to detect recent exposures.

Holmes said: “The chronic underfunding of key services such as HIV Ireland and the closure of the Gay Men’s Health Service (GMHS) during the COVID-19 Pandemic have only served to highlight the barriers faced by those seeking testing and diagnosis. During the current pandemic, it has become increasingly difficult to access effective screening services.”

“Access to free PrEP (Pre Exposure Prophylaxis) in Ireland is limited to a few specialty clinics including the aforementioned GMHS. While free to groups identified as vulnerable to HIV transmission, the reduced access to these clinics has heightened the barrier to accessinging [sic] PrEP. We are hoping to see these services restored and expanded in the near future in order to ensure that all who need it can get it.”

Current HIV transmission rates in Ireland are approximately double the European average.

Earlier this year, TCDSU council voted in favour of a motion mandating the union to lobby for accessible rapid HIV testing.

The motion also mandated the union to lobby for €5,000 to be drawn from the Higher Education Authority (HEA) fund to purchase 500 rapid test kits.

Speaking in favour of the motion, TCDSU President Eoin Hand described the initiative as a “continuation” of the union’s support for ending the blood donation ban for men who have sex with men.

Under the current system, men who have had sex with men must wait for 12 months after their last sexual contact before being eligible to donate blood in Ireland, even if using a condom or pre or post exposure prophylaxis (PrEP/PEP).