Trinity’s On-Campus Accommodation Closed to Tourists This Summer

Renting out rooms to tourists during the summer months has been a lucrative source of revenue for Trinity in past years.

Cormac WatsonEditor
Alex Connolly for The Universaity Times

Trinity’s on-campus accommodation will be closed to tourists for the second summer in a row.

College confirmed to The University Times today that tourists would not be allowed to rent out on-campus apartments this summer – traditionally a lucrative source of revenue for Trinity, as students move off campus after the exam period.

Occupancy of rooms for students was meant to end on May 23rd. However, students had until April 26th to extend their tenancy.

Previous to the closure of the main campus, tourists could stay in single or double en suite rooms, as well as ordinary single and double rooms and “superior” rooms.

Tourism generally has been essential to boosting College’s commercial revenues, with the Book of Kells exhibition drawing in large crowds each year.

The coronavirus has put the brakes on tourism in Trinity, with the numbers of visitors to the Book of Kells significantly decreasing after the exhibition was closed for long periods over the past year.

It did, however, reopen on Monday, with tickets available to book online. Guests must wear face coverings, with the exception of children under the age of 13 as well as those with special needs.

Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) expressed frustration at the university for reopening the campus to tourists during undergraduate students’ exam period.

In a tweet, TCDSU President Eoin Hand said: “This is something I have been trying to postpone until after the exam period. Disappointed this couldn’t be agreed.”

The Irish government continues to advise against all unnecessary travel, with tourism not currently a valid reason to travel to Dublin.

Additionally, passengers arriving into Ireland must either pay for a 14-day stay in a quarantine hotel or, depending on their country of origin, can self-isolate at a place of residence.

The Irish Times recently reported that Trinity intend on spending €150,000 on a campus tour app.

In a tender document, Trinity invited potential contractors to pitch plans for “an integrated platform,” that “should manage and deploy user-friendly, engaging, interactive and informative content to users”.

The app comes as part of a “campus-wide plan” to revitalise tourism after a year of lost income as a result of the pandemic.