TU Dublin to Formally Join IUA on June 1st

The IUA’s membership now accounts for two thirds of all students in higher education.

Cormac WatsonEditor

TU Dublin has agreed to become a member of the Irish Universities Association (IUA), the body that represents member universities with the government and other major third-level players.

The IUA announced TU Dublin’s decision today. The university will officially join the organisation on June 1st.

The IUA’s membership now accounts for two thirds of all students in higher education, over 80 per cent of international and postgraduate students and close to 90 per cent of research spending in the higher education sector.

In a press statement, TU Dublin President David FitzPatrick said: “As the voice of the University sector in the Republic of Ireland, TU Dublin is delighted to join the Irish Universities Association (IUA), and we look forward to working with our new partners in strengthening the sector for the challenges ahead.”

“It is a time of great change in Higher Education, and the IUA is well placed to reflect the scope, scale and ambition of TU Dublin in developing a new practice-based education model informed by research to prepare students for an era that will be characterised by rapid changes in technology.”

In a press statement, Chair of the IUA Council and President of NUI Galway, Ciarán Ó hÓgartaigh, said: “We are delighted to welcome TU Dublin to join with us to strengthen our collective, inclusive representation as the Voice of Irish Universities.”

“As one of our newest and largest universities, TU Dublin has a track record of impact across a range of disciplines and a growing strength in research and innovation.”

“We look forward to working with the TU Dublin leadership team under the IUA umbrella to grow and develop university education for society at a pivotal time of change and development”, he added.

The current members of the IUA are Dublin City University, Maynooth University, NUI Galway, University College Cork, University College Dublin, University of Limerick and Trinity.

TU Dublin spans across campuses in Dublin City Centre, Blanchardstown and Tallaght. In January 2019, Dublin Institute of Technology, Institute of Technology Tallaght and Institute of Technology Blanchardstown joined together to form what is now TU Dublin.