Sustained Careers Events Instead of Single Careers Week

The week-long Careers Week event has been replaced with a series of individual events throughout term.

Eleanor O’MahonyStaff Writer
TCD Photo

Trinity’s Careers Advisory Service has, this year, decided to get rid of the annual Careers Week, replacing the week with a series of individual events held throughout the year.

A mainstay in the Trinity student’s calendar, the week-long event has been converted into a series of individual events staggered throughout the term in a move largely informed by student feedback.

The decision to change the structure of the event this year came about as a result of feedback from the service’s annual feedback survey and from informal meetings with student representatives. In her email comments to The University Times, Fiona Hayes, a careers advisor within the service, stated that the feedback “pointed to students feeling that they didn’t have time to attend the one week event”.

This year, events have been divided into three main events series: “Finding Work in…”, “Voices from…” and careers fairs. Furthermore, a number of Postgraduate events and employer workshops will take place throughout the year.

The “Finding work in…” series will focus in on different sectors including IT, marketing, international careers and science. Students will be given advice on how to successfully apply for jobs in specific sectors. Similarly, the “Voices from…” series is a string of sector-specific events which will give students a chance to hear from both graduates and employers and to mingle informally with them afterwards. The careers fairs that have been planned so far are focused on Law, Engineering and Computing and will be day-long events.

Speaking to The University Times, Molly Kenny, Education Officer for Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU), said that the service “takes student input seriously” and that TCDSU would continue to work closely with them. On the 23rd of October, the service will launch their Strategic Review which aims to identify where the service can be improved.