Trinity One of Only Two Universities to See Fall in CAO First Preferences

For a second year, Trinity saw a decline in the number of first preferences.

Dominic McGrathNews Editor
Between 2012 and 2014, the number of
TCD Photo

The number of students putting Trinity as their first-preference course on their CAO application has fallen for the last two years, The University Times has learned. The only other university to see a fall was the National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG).

Between 2012 and 2014, the number of students placing Trinity as their first preference fell by nearly 9 per cent, from 8142 to 7437. The overall number of applications to Trinity also fell in the same period, from nearly 19,000 in 2012 to 17,795 in 2014, a drop of nearly 6 per cent.

While Trinity still attracted 11 per cent of all first preference applications in the CAO system, the fall makes Trinity one of the only third-level institutions in Ireland that has seen a decline in first preference applications since 2012.

Similarly, Trinity is the only university in Ireland that has seen a consistent, year-on-year decrease in applications since 2012.

In comparison, University College Dublin (UCD) saw an increase in first-preference applications of 6 per cent in the same period.

Speaking to The University Times by email, Prof Patrick Geoghegan, the former Senior Lecturer and Dean of Undergraduate Studies, cautioned against reading too much into a decline in first-preference applications, arguing that “the most important thing is admitting students with academic ability and potential from all over”.

However, he did acknowledge that there were factors that Trinity should address which adversely affected applications, including the false perceptions of Trinity, and the high points for many courses. He stated that: “It’s interesting that a lot more people put down Trinity as their first choice in January, but then change their mind before the results come out. I think it shows that some people aspire to go to Trinity, but then worry they won’t have enough points after sitting their exams, and they want to feel like they are getting their first choice”.

Yet for Geoghegan, the priority for Trinity should be to attract and find quality students, and these statistics provided no reason for concern: “I think Trinity still attracts – and admits – excellent, highly motivated students who have enormous ability and potential and there hasn’t been any change at all there in the 16 years I’ve been here”.

Indeed in recent years Trinity have focused decreasing their reliance on traditional entry methods. An admissions feasibility study launched in 2014 opened 25 places in Trinity courses each year to students based on three separate criteria – their Leaving Cert points, their relative performance in their school and a personal statement. The study is currently limited to three courses, with ten places available in history, ten places in law and five places in ancient and medieval history. Geoghegan is the project sponsor of the study.

This decrease in applications comes as Trinity continues to fall in international university rankings, falling from 138th in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings in 2015, to 160th in 2016. The College also fell from 71st in 2014 to 78th in 2015 in the QS World University rankings.

Trinity has also pioneered an additional feasibility study in relation to Northern Irish students. This September, 66 students from Northern Ireland were offered places through an A-level admissions feasibility study as part of Trinity’s goal to triple the number of students attending Trinity from Northern Ireland by 2018.These students were offered places based on their three best A-level results, compared to the usual four that a student must possess to be admitted. Only 12 per cent of students from Northern Ireland sit four A-level exams.

The overall ratio of first-preference applications to course quotas also saw a decline, falling from 2.8:1 in 2013 to 2.6:1 in 2014. The overall ratio of eligible first preference applications to course quota remained the same, at 1.7:1. The term “eligible applications” refers to applications that successfully satisfy both matriculation and course requirements.