The Minister for Health, a Chilling Documentary and Gaining a Foothold in the Film Industry

Rebecca Wynne-Walsh looks at the grab bag of the best of this week's society events.

Rebecca Wynne-WalshSocieties Editor
Loe Varadkar talks to Trinity Politics Society on Tuesday.

DU Film Society are beginning a series of Foothold Talks, which will see recent graduates with a foothold in the film industry discussing their journey. These talks will give members the opportunity to understand how the television and film industry operates, and where to start. The first speaker will be Eoghan McQuinn, currently working at Element Pictures (The Lobster, The Wind that Shakes the Barley). McQuinn attended IADT and has won numerous awards for his filmmaking in Ireland and Europe. Many of his films have been screened at The Galway Film Fleadh, Fastnet Film Festival and the IFI. His latest film Staccato is in consideration for numerous international film festivals. The Foothold Talks will begin on Tuesday December 1st at 7pm in Arts Block Room 3074 and will continue for the last three weeks of term. They are the perfect opportunity to get the inside track into one of the most competitive industries in the world.

Wednesday December 2nd sees DU Quiz Soc do what they do best. Following on from the massive success of the Hogwarts Express, the Harry Potter Quiz will give students the opportunity to satisfy any remaining witchcraft and wizardry needs. The questions will be based off the books rather than the movies and there will be Harry Potter-themed prizes a-plenty to turn Doyles into Honeydukes for one night only.

The Minister for Health Leo Varadkar will be speaking to Trinity Politics Society at 7pm on December 1st in the GMB. Varadkar is currently working tirelessly to rebuild Ireland’s health service and was a prominent figure in the Marriage Equality referendum. Although he was only elected to Dáil Éireann in 2007, the first openly gay cabinet member has truly made his mark and promises to be a visiting speaker not to miss. Pol Soc membership will be available at the door on the night.

Trinity Literary Society presents a talk by Trinity’s very own Dr Daragh Downes entitled What Would Nietzsche Say? Untimely Reflections on Literary Studies Today. It will take place on December 2nd in the Graduate Students’ Union Common Room in House 6. Dr Downes is well known among English students as one of the most charismatic lecturers in the department, giving lectures that are informative, entertaining and still accessible. Many students have cited his lectures as their “Dead Poets Society moment” while studying English. This is set to be the first of hopefully many talks looking at the work of Trinity staff and students with a full reception and question session after.

Trinity Global Development Society, in collaboration with DU Gender Equality, will be screening the chilling documentary The Cruel Cut in the Global Room at 6pm on November 30th. This film deals with the harrowing but never more important issue of women’s rights regarding genital mutilation. It will be an evening of engaging discussion, eye-opening information and the opportunity to interact with like-minded people.