Hist Panel Illustrates Evolving Role Feminism Stands to Play in Ireland

Gender theorists, theologians and students debated feminism’s relationship with the state last night.

GIllian MurtaghDeputy Radius Editor
Catherine Prasifika for the Hist

It is now easier than ever before to be a self-professed Irish feminist, in an Ireland that, among other things, is moving towards repealing its constitution to give women control over their own reproductive rights, and one that encourages the celebration of its greatest women leaders as the centenary of the 1916 Easter Rising approaches. What is difficult, however, is to fully understand the weight of a proclamation of this kind, and more importantly, its limits. In an Ireland that continues to evolve, we must not forget to question the kind of role feminism must play, in terms of its relationship with the state, the church and the ever growing pluralistic society that its finds itself in.

Although the Hist’s panel discussions and debates sometimes fail to draw in the numbers that the Phil often does, its followers are loyal and the content produced at them reliably good. This was certainly the case of last night’s Burke Panel Discussion, as a small crowd arrived in the GMB to hear the annual “Feminism in Ireland” panel discussion. The panel featured three guest speakers, introduced by three student speakers, who together navigated through issues of representation, multiculturalism, religion and the state as they stand in relation to feminism in Ireland.

After a brief address and welcome from Sophie Fitzpatrick, the panel’s organiser, sociology and social policy student Imaan Bari took the floor, and in a notably relaxed and comfortable manner, delivered her thoughts and experiences on the continuing failures of the media in its representation of women. Speaking personally about the sense of displacement she had experienced growing up as a woman of Pakistani-Iranian origin in Ireland, Bari explained how hybridity isolates a person from whatever demographic they find themselves in. A divide which is further accentuated by the media’s portrayal of what it means to be a woman in Ireland.

The most evocative and engaging speech came from the panel’s second speaker, UCD PhD candidate researching racial stratification in the labour market, and author of Becoming Unforgettable and Trapped Prison Without Walls, Ebun Joseph. Joseph spoke about the challenges facing her as a Nigerian woman in Ireland and the tensions between race and feminism, introducing her thoughts through her experiences of being the “token black woman” in both private and public situations. Joseph spoke invigoratingly about racial stratification in Ireland, and the pervading divide of equality and culture. In efforts to reconcile the two, Joseph spoke about the need for equity in multicultural Ireland, to create a society in which people of different races, cultures and sexes can engage in as equals. For a multicultural Ireland to exist, Joseph highlighted how race must be accepted, instead of being used as a measure of difference.

Next to the podium was religion and theology student, Grace Conway, who discussed the relationship between feminism and theology. Conway opened her address by asking her audience why God continues to be represented in society as a bearded man on a throne instead of a lesbian in a wheelchair. This image exposed Conway’s thoughts on the issue, and her dismay at the representation of God as an omnipresent, omniscient, divine male figure. Conway then spoke about the alienation that many feel from this white, straight man who promoted male worship. In introducing the work of Feminist Theologians to the floor, Conway highlighted the efforts that are being made to move beyond the irrelevance of the godly figure that dominates Irish society, to instead focus on reclaiming the failed representation of women in the bible, who currently only fulfil the roles of virgins and whores. However, in challenging pronouns and reinterpreting texts, we continue to feel alienated from the Mother Sophia figure and the God in the clouds. For Conway, God needs to reach everyone, rather than promoting religious patriarchy. Indeed, he needs to be a lesbian in a wheelchair.

Conway then introduced the Vice Provost, Linda Hogan, a professor of ecumenics who has studied gender and its relationship with religion. Hogan opened by discussing the presence of religion in Irish society today, one that grows simultaneously more secular, and somehow, more religious. Continuing the thread introduced by Conway, Hogan then discussed the ever-important role that feminist theologians have to play in a society that has a growth of religious affiliation, because of immigration. Speaking on the impact of feminist reform on the liberalisation of Irish life, Hogan discussed the small but liberalising forces that first introduced the pro-life amendment 30 years ago, pro-divorce campaigns and more recently, religious marriage equality campaign groups, giving the NGO “Faith in Marriage Equality” as an example. Looking to the future of a religiously diverse Ireland, Hogan acknowledged the presence of misogyny and patriarchy in religion, but optimistically looked towards progress – to the ongoing participation of women leaders in the church, and the fight that they have ahead in the ongoing repeal the eighth campaign.

The final student speaker of the evening was Annabel O’Rourke, a TSM maths and economics student. O’Rourke spoke passionately about the history of the state in the oppression of women, highlighting the enshrinement of men in the constitution and the previous failure of women’s rights to extend beyond marriage. Although at times questioning her own arguments, O’Rourke proposed greater involvement from the European Union to change the representation of women within the state, highlighting the value of unity between countries. O’Rourke questioned the importance of, among other things, bringing paternity leave into effect across the European Union. As Ireland becomes more multicultural, O’Rourke appeared confident that change would come about. She stressed, however, that in order to work towards equality, we must acknowledge the potential value that both the state and the EU have for women in furthering their plight, to move beyond the oppression that dominated the past.

Muireann O’Dwyer, the final guest speaker, then took the floor. O’Dwyer is a UCD PhD Candidate in European Law and Governance, researching gender power relations and feminist theory of governance. The speech was opened by an admission from O’Dwyer that it is very difficult to make feminist demands of the state, but instead of changing the demands, we should instead our perception of the state as one body. O’Dwyer encouraged her audience to consider the state as neoliberal, to focus on individuals in order to shrink the state and its power. Like O’Rourke, Conway then moved forward by acknowledging the invaluable role that the state has to play in the furthering of women’s rights, despite its oppressive history. By reconciling the past, feminists must be encouraged to see the state as an instrument for change. It is not only a place for demands to be made, but an agent to bring these demands into effect.

As the panel drew to a close, it was easy to reflect upon the wealth of knowledge that had been brought to the floor. What I found to be most inspiring, however, was the different perspectives brought by both students and guest speakers, allowing those present to instantly see beyond the perspective of a student, as ideas were further developed by the guest speakers. It was here, in this active engagement with the topics at hand, that the greatest triumph of the night could be found, giving the audience a sense of the ever evolving role that feminism stands to play in Ireland today, and encouraging them not to be left behind.