8×8 Festival, a Cuddle Party and Aengus Mac Grianna: Your Week Ahead

Fionnuala Egan looks beyond the chaos of Fourth Week to reveal the greatest society events on offer this week.

Fionnuala Egan Deputy Societies Editor
Andrew Murphy for The University Times

Fourth Week is always an exciting time in Trinity. The week offers an array of events, encouraging students to become aware of the ongoing work of the societies beyond the confines of Freshers’ Week. Everyone is welcome to come to any society event this week, whether or not they’re a member. It’s a great way to discover new societies and do something a little different, and best of all, every event is free.

Trinity Knitting Society is offering us a soothing start to the week with their annual Let’s Make a Blanket event on Monday at 6pm to 7pm. Participants will have the chance to work on a piece to add to the renowned KnitSoc Society Blanket in the cosy confines of Room 31. Following this, Dublin University International Students Society will be hosting Trad at the Pav from 7pm. Expect live traditional Irish music, free food for the first forty people and dancing on the cricket pitch. The craic, as they say, will be ninety.

Trinity 8×8 Festival, a collaboration of Suas Trinity, DU Amnesty and Global Development Soc will present Salam Neighbour on Tuesday at 5pm in the Jonathan Swift Theatre (Room 2041A, Arts Block). The award-winning film marks the first time filmmakers were allowed to be registered and given a tent in a refugee camp. It is an eye-opening and immersive experience into the life of a Syrian refugee. The screening will be followed by an address by Mr. Ghandi Mallak, a Syrian restauranteur who came to Ireland as a refugee 20 years ago. This promises to be a worthwhile event about an important issue and is not to be missed.

On Wednesday, Dublin University Gender Equality Society (DUGES) is offering a different kind of consent workshop: a Cuddle Party. This part workshop, part social gathering allows participants to explore consensual, non-sexual touch in a safe and comfortable environment. This sounds like a unique and enjoyable way to learn more about a topical issue. Wear comfortable clothes and head over to the GSU Common Room for 7pm!

RTÉ broadcaster, Aengus Mac Grianna, will be speaking to the Cumann Gaelach about the importance of the Irish language in his career as a journalist on Thursday at 5pm in the GMB Chamber. It’s all part of the society’s annual Lá na Gaeilge, which will be finishing with their grand night out, the Oíche GAYlach, meeting at the Pav at 8pm and continuing on to Phrhomo for some ceol agus craic!

Unwind after a jam-packed week with some relaxing morning yoga. Trinity Yoga Society will be holding a free class in Room 50 in the Atrium and will be ending the morning nicely with some free breakfast! Spaces are limited to the first 25 people so do get there early for a lovely ending to your Fourth Week.