On Breaking Barriers Between Performers and Audiences, Frank Turner in Conversation

On Wednesday, DU Music hosted the singer-songwriter and presented him with honorary patronage.

Sam HardimanContributing Writer
Ella Wedderburn for The University Times

On Wednesday evening, the Dublin University Music Society (DU Music) played host to Hampshire-born singer songwriter Frank Turner, a mere two hours before he played in the Olympia Theatre. Roughly 20 people were in attendance as we reclined in the warmth of House 7 and awaited the main event.

As Turner walked in, the confidence that he modestly exhumed was difficult to miss. In the first turn of events, Chair of the society, Cliona Lynskey, presented the artist with honorary patronage of the society. If his aim was to mask his excitement, then Turner was rather unsuccessful, graciously accepting the award with “This is the coolest thing, my mum is gonna be stoked!” and hugged Lynskey in appreciation.

His down-to-earth personality shone through for the duration of the interview. When asked about his favourite gig ever played, he said, “probably when I played in a dive bar in Connecticut. By the end of it, the PA had broken so it was just an acoustic set”. Unlike the expected response from many artists, the failing of the PA system did not taint Turner’s enjoyment of his own set. He later declared: “I like songs that break the barrier between performer and audience.” His love of engaging with his audience was evident throughout the talk. It was obvious and refreshing to see that Turner does not see himself a star nor celebrity.

Aside from his warm personality and casual engagement with the crowd, he expressed some interesting views and philosophies. One particular statement resonated with me, as I’m sure it did with everyone, was “The part of art I find interesting is when someone says something devastatingly honest. If you live your whole life with one eye over your shoulder, you’re never going to get anywhere”. Important messages like this characterised the evening. Turner spoke not only about himself but about life and songwriting in general. The talk was a humble learning experience for all who attended, not just for songwriters.

He responded to a lot of Lynskey’s questions in modest, realistic ways, looking at his feet and smiling to himself. When asked what advice he would give to young aspiring musicians, he said, humbly: “I never feel qualified to answer this question. Just make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons.” Turner was incredibly honest about life as a touring artist: “it can be really hard. My knees are gone. I never get enough sleep and I get sick all the time. But it doesn’t matter cause I get to play music for a living!” Turner spoke with true excitement for his art. Wide eyed and animated, it was as if his living out his dream as a musician was just sinking in in that very moment. He made apparent his gratitude for how fortunate he is, to which the audience responded warmly.

The opportunity arose for me to raise my hand for a question.In response to my query as to whether or not he still suffers from nerves, he said: “Only when I’m out of my comfort zone. I played for my nephew’s class of thirty little six year old kids, and I was shaking before, because I didn’t know if they’d be a forgiving audience or not. But for tonight, I’m just pumped more than anything!” This anecdote was a perfect way to conclude the talk, making the whole room laugh.

Although the society urged us to be as swift as possible with autographs and the ritualistic selfie-taking, Turner seemed in no rush to leave, and was hugely welcoming to any questions people had. He thanked Lynskey profusely, clutched his award as if it were his child and left, leaving a room filled with smiling music enthusiasts behind him. A commendable and well-organised event at the hands of DU Music, Turner gave real insight into his character and left the audience with much to mull over.