Society Collaboration Presents Intimate Festive Recital

Last night, the Boydell room played host to an evening of festive music and food, presented by DU Germanic Society and DU Music.

Rebecca Wynne-WalshDeputy Radius Editor
Cliona Lynskey for DU Music

DU Germanic Society joined forces DU Music last night for their Christmas themed event, a Festive Recital. DU Music have had several successful recitals this year, already but the Germanic Society provided welcomed changes to the usual model. It wouldn’t be a DU Music recital if it wasn’t taking place in the Boydell room at the top of House Five.

However, last night saw the society reach new heights with their decorations. The Boydell was looking fabulously festive with German flag bunting, fairy lights and tinsel galore. The Germanic Society took on the all-important task of providing suitably Christmassy refreshments. There were German Christmas biscuits and, of course, the hotly-anticipated mulled wine. The festive foods went down and absolute treat. In other words, they were quickly demolished by visitors and committees alike.

To kick off the night, Sean Finn, Chair of the Germanic Society played “Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire”. He played beautifully and succeeded in setting a happy, nostalgic, Christmas atmosphere for the night. Having the chair of the Germanic Society actually take part in the recital was a lovely gesture, and reminder of how important it is for societies to collaborate.

Arthur Greene, a second-year music student, then wowed the room with his performance before the interval – an opportunity to crunch biscuits and gulp mulled wine without getting in the way of the performances. A thoroughly enjoyable array of Christmas instrumentals were brought to life by Paul Prior. It was the kind of succession of songs that allowed you to remember how much you missed those seasonal songs that are only acceptable once a year, not to mention how much you still love them. Finally, the members of the Campanile Choir closed the night in true Christmas carol service fashion. Their positive reception was undoubtedly aided by the growing consumption of wine on the premises!

The key drawback of the event was the decidedly intimate audience. You could only imagine how much livelier the recital would have been had the Boydell been full, or half full at that. It is unfortunately something that just can’t be avoided at this time of year. This event took place at a time when everyone suddenly realises that those essays that were assigned weeks ago will are due pretty soon. Events in this panicked time period always fall victim to exam stress. Nonetheless, the DU Germanic Society and DU Music Festive Recital was a highly enjoyable night, with tasty nibbles, diverse performances and good company.