Counselling Service’s Addiction Support Group Experiences Low Uptake from Students

Of 193 students who requested support, only 3 per cent attended the support group last year.

Chiara Mastronardo Contributing Writer

Last year, 193 students approached Trinity’s Student Counselling Service seeking advice to deal with different kinds of addictive behaviours. However, only three per cent of these students availed of the service’s addictive behaviors support group.

The Addictive Behaviour and Recovery Support Group is part of a wider strategy to help students manage their college life. The aim of the group is to provide students with new tools to deal with addictive behaviours. However, the counselling service is also concerned with the low number of those attending, according to Yvonne Tone, Groups and Continuing Professional Development Co-ordinator for the service, speaking to The University Times via email.

“We are concerned at the small numbers who attend this, despite the fact we know addiction can be a big problem for many students”, commented Tone.

Last year, the number attending the support group averaged at seven, which is just three per cent of those who sought help for such behaviours from the service last year. However, previous terms have seen as few as three attendees at the support group.

A student who seeks help from the counselling service first completes a 30 minute assessment where they can identify problems that are having. This may be an addictive behavior, depression, anxiety or any other concern. The service records this information.

The group’s meetings are designed for those who struggle with alcohol and substances addiction, but also those suffering from eating disorders, gambling addiction and sexual addiction as well.

The support group tailored the workshop so that students can work on their relationships with themselves and other individuals affected by their behaviour. This is with the aim of teaching them to cope with addictions. Attendees learn about physical withdrawals, addiction triggers and preventing relapse through self-care, with the meetings organised so that students can meet each other in a safe place.

The group has resumed this year for 12 weeks, and started on January 26th in the Student Counselling Service on Leinster St South. While figures remain low for the addiction support group, the demand for emergency appointments in the service has increased by 150 per cent since 2010.

Headspace, an online service for those experiencing anxiety, depression and high levels of stress, was also launched this year, to help deal with the increased demand for counselling services.