The Sounds of Halloween

A hand-picked selection of the best Halloween music events in Dublin.

Alison TraynorDeputy Music Editor

For better or for worse, it is that time of year again. The approach of Halloween, in our more youthful days, was synonymous with lighthearted festivity, but now seems more like a triviality that only serves to remind us of the rapidly shortening days and dropping of temperature, not to mention the deluge of assignments that we should have already begun. However, we students might as well make the best of it, and there are plenty of fantastic music events happening around the city to aid us in this endeavour. After all, there is no better method of procrastination than going out to enjoy some of our favourite tunes.

Charity Cabaret

Crowbar hosts a festive live music event, The Halloween Cabaret, on October 28th. Attending this gig will expunge you of your guilt about going out when you should really be studying, because it is in aid of an important cause, namely Feed Our Homeless. The line-up champions local music talent and consists of an eclectic mix of artists. Those playing have been named as Dublin post-blues band Barefoot Magicians, downbeat, experimental duo End of New, prolific cover artist Fabio Rodrigues, funk influenced alt-rock band Nobody’s Heroes and psychedelia enthusiasts Quantum Crossroads. There will also be a DJ set by Misha Freshin.

Bowie Ball

Fans of David Bowie are in luck this Halloween, because on October 28th, The Grand Social will host an event dedicated to the beloved glam icon, which is aptly named Heroes From Mars presents The Goblin King Masquerade Ball. The night is anticipated to be a buoyant celebration of Bowie’s music, with emphasis on his greatest hits and music from the soundtrack of the cult classic film Labyrinth, in which he starred. A bohemian affair that reflects the decadence of the Thin White Duke’s life and sound can certainly be expected. Costume is not essential but is encouraged, so it also provides a perfect opportunity to crack out that space suit and get your face paint on.

Pizza and Planets in Phibsborough

If you want to experience some music with a twist, head to one of the many events of The Haunted Gaff at Phibsborough’s The Back Page. Here, you can buy some of the finest pizzas and pints in Dublin in a stylish setting, while also enjoying the various activities that are running everyday from October 26th to 31st. You will be able to revel in plenty of classic tunes as there will be both live music and DJ sets. Adopting a Rick and Morty theme, which is a regular feature at The Back Page, there will be a Space Disco with DJ Stitch and some interplanetary music bingo. As well as this, Halloween film screenings, games and quizzes will prominently feature throughout the week.

Rock Extravaganza

If you want some slightly heavier music to enhance your Halloween, a rock music extravaganza in the shape of Halloween Fest by Mutlyz Promotions will be happening at Button Factory on October 31st. The lineup consists of the suitably dark and raucous Thumper, rock instrumentalists Megacone, Navan based fuzzpop band Chinese Newspaper, Brazilian Stone Sea and indie talents Greyface. There will also be DJ sets by a variety of Soma DJs. Prepare yourself for some appropriately dark and broody rock and roll that will have you dancing the night away.