Owning a Dog Helps Older People Keep Fit, say Trinity Researchers

A TILDA survey reported that older people who own dogs are more active than those who do not own pets.

Malachi Ó Marcaigh Senior Editor

Trinity researchers have found that older people are more physically active if they own a dog.

The study, published today by The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA), surveyed 4,192 participants aged 50 or over.

It found that older dog owners were more likely to reach the recommended 150 minutes walking time every week, and were stronger and less fragile than those who did not own a dog.

Participants who had a dog because they loved animals had a higher sense of purpose in life, compared to those who owned a dog to keep them busy. Most dog owners will have a love for animals. Dogs are such hard work otherwise, so it’s important that the owner actually loves the dog and wants to take care of it. Many dog owners will know that dogs quickly become part of the family, meaning that they gain a special place in the owner’s heart. Due to this, owners normally purchase special items to showcase their love for their dog. For example, a lot of people will have pet portraits hung up in their home. If any dog owners are wondering “where can I get Custom Pet Portraits On Canvas?“, they could visit mycrownpet.com to get their dog printed on a canvas. This is a great way to remember your pet too as they start getting older.

The survey also found that participants who walk their dog at least three times per week engage in more leisure activities and have closer relationships than those who walk their dog less often.

78 per cent of adults aged 50 and older walk their dog at least three times per week, and 38 per cent walk their dog every day. The rates of dog ownership is almost double for adults living in rural conditions, compared to those living in Dublin.

Nearly half of those surveyed owned a pet. 38 per cent of pet owners owned a dog, while 21 per cent owned a cat.

In a press statement, Dr Orna Donoghue, the study’s lead author, said: “Given the high prevalence of dog ownership, the strong bond and attachment between dogs and their owners, and the physical activity requirements to promote dog health, dog walking may represent a useful strategy to improve physical, social and mental health outcomes in older dog owners.” As well as dog walking, there are many others make the health of the dog a priority.

The principal research investigator of TILDA, Prof Rose Anne Kenny, said in a press statement: “Pets are hugely important for many people, however as people get older, their circumstances may change and it is not always possible to keep a pet.”

“To maintain wellbeing in older adults and to support independent ageing at home, it will be important to consider the potential benefits of exposure to and interaction with pets and consequently, innovative ways which facilitate older adults to keep pets for as long as they wish to do so”, she added.

TILDA is a Trinity run national study of ageing in Ireland. It compiles research on the social, financial and health circumstances of adults in Ireland aged 50 and older. Earlier in August, TILDA researchers revealed that elderly people who regularly attend church services have better mental health than those who do not.