Borders, Brexit and Blanket-Making: Your Week Ahead

There is lots to be doing on campus before reading week.

Eimear FinanSocieties Editor

Here we are: the week before reading week – that bookmark point in the college diary when you suddenly realise that your lecture notes are a mess, you have racked up mysterious library fines and, most terrifying of all, you will soon be one quarter of the way through this academic year. A blissful week of lie-ins and procrastination awaits, but before that, Trinity’s societies have an impressive line-up of activities to help you wind down.

Monday

To round off the first half of term, Trinity Global Room invites students for some light comic relief. For the sixth instalment of the New2Dublin series, the Global Room will be screening fan-favourite Derry Girls. Get to the Global Room in the Hamilton for 5pm to claim a spot in the crowd.

Tuesday

In a departure from its usual Tuesday Stitch&Bitch event, Trinity Knitting Society will be hosting its annual Let’s Make a Blanket event, in which members are invited to combine forces (and stitches) to make into one iconic, colourful patchwork blanket. The society also hopes to elect new committee members at the Extraordinary General Meeting, which will run simultaneously. Tea and biscuits will be offered at this event, which begins in the Eliz Room in House Six at 5pm.

At 7pm, the Robert Emmet Lecture Theatre in the Arts’ Block will play host to Noura Erakat, leading United States human rights attorney and advocate for Palestinian refugee rights, at the Irish launch of her book Justice for Some. This collaborative event between Trinity’s MPhil in Race and Conflict, Academics for Palestine and Sadaka, the Ireland-Palestine Alliance will see Erakat discuss the influence international law and politics have had on current affairs in Palestine. Admission is free.

Wednesday

Dublin University Philosophical Society (the Phil) will welcome the latest recipient of its Gold Medal of Honorary Patronage, Alastair Campbell to the Graduates Memorial Building (GMB) at 1pm. The outspoken journalist, mental health advocate and former British Labour Party member will speak about his life in politics and the current political climate in the United Kingdom. Society membership is required and can be bought for €6 on the day.

Thursday

Trinity Free Legal Advice Centre is back, in collaboration with Trinity College Students’ Union (TCDSU) and the Peter McVerry Trust for its annual “sleep out”. This event aims to heighten awareness among students about the ongoing homelessness crisis in Dublin and to raise money for the Trust, which works with Dublin’s homeless community. Volunteers from the College community will be taking donations and will be out on the streets between 7pm that night and 8am on Friday morning.

DU Caledonian Society will bring Scottish country music and dancing to the central Dublin location of the Grand Social with its aptly named Raveheart club night. This annual celebration of everything Scottish begins at 11pm. Tickets cost €7.85 and can be bought on Eventbrite.

Friday

DU Rover Society, College’s fledgling scouting society, will host its weekly coffee hours in the Atrium. After a long week in College, this relaxed event provides an opportunity to unwind. If you want to learn more about the society’s plans to promote the scouting lifestyle and outdoor activities among students, you are welcome to join committee members from 10am to 12pm.

Saturday

For those of you staying in Dublin for the weekend, Trinity Japanese Society is providing the perfect Saturday escape. A coach will leave Trinity at 10am for the scenic Japanese Gardens in Kildare along with a spot of shopping in Kildare Village. Tickets are €13 and can be reserved through the society’s Facebook page. Places are limited.