DCU Students Campaign Against Deportation of Mehwish Saqib

DCUSU has launched a petition against the deportation of Mehwish Saqib, a third-year student of early childhood education.

Sárán FogartyContributing Writer
Last year, DCU students protested against the proposed deportation of Shepherd Machaya.

Dublin City University Students’ Union (DCUSU) has launched a petition to prevent the deportation of one of its students.

Mehwish Saqib, who is a third-year student of early childhood education as part of the University of Sanctuary scheme, could face deportation.

The petition, posted to change.org, says: “DCU Students’ Union urges Charlie Flanagan, the minister for justice and equality, to stop the deportation of Mehwish Saqib, [who has] lived in Ireland for the past four years.”

Mehwish and her husband have lived in Ireland in direct provision for the past four years. The couple have three children.

“Like all students”, the petition said, “she should be afforded the right to complete the studies she has thrived in thus far. Despite her challenging living circumstances in direct provision, she has overcome great odds to advance academically”.

“She has contributed so much to this country and has aspirations of continuing to do so, passing her first two years in DCU with flying colours and dreaming of a career in Early Childhood Education”, the statement said.

“Should she be deported, she will be faced with death threats from the very people who drove her out of the country eight years ago. She will not be safe.”

Last year, another DCU student, Shepherd Machaya, who was studying management of information technology and information systems under the University of Sanctuary programme, was threatened with deportation.

DCUSU launched a petition calling on Flanagan to revoke Machaya’s deportation order, and staged demonstrations outside the Department of Justice and Equality.
Six Irish universities have introduced scholarships for people in direct provision under the University of Sanctuary programme.

Trinity is not currently part of the programme, but last year approved four scholarships in April 2019.