Ní Ghrioghair Presents Dystopian Scenes Through Sculpture

Doireann Ní Ghrioghair's new exhibition will come to Pallas Projects on November 1st.

Susie CrawfordRadius Editor

On November 1st, Doireann Ní Ghrioghair will present her new exhibition, Declaration of the State Metropolis at Tara, to Pallas Projects as part of the gallery’s Artist-Initiated Projects programme. The show is rooted in Irish history. The exhibition’s title has been taken from Ailtirí na hAiséirghe’s 1942 declaration, originally published in Irish and entitled Maoidheamh ar Árd-Cathair Stáit I dTeamhair.

Ailtirí na hAiséirghe was a fascist political party in the mid-20th century. The party’s vision was deeply rooted in conservative, religious ideology, focussing primarily on banning the English language, putting an end to emmigration and establishing a powerful Irish army.

In Declaration of the State Metropolis at Tara, Ní Ghrioghair explores the party’s views in the context of present day Ireland, and in doing so, provides a fresh perspective on current political issues. As political perspectives become increasingly polarised, with right-wing groups on the rise in the United States and Europe, Ní Ghrioghair’s focus on the past presents an opportunity for audiences to reflect on the present.

In an effort to interrogate ideas of national identity, Ní Ghrioghair will present dystopian scenes through sculpture. An accomplished sculptor, the artist is best known for her surreal interpretations of classical architectural features. In 2017, she presented Deflated Capital II to the MART Gallery. After taking casts of architectural details in Dublin, Ní Ghrioghair left her plaster representations of the city to set in unsupported latex moulds, causing the monumental features of Dublin to bend and stoop. In a surreal display, Ní Ghrioghair offered a novel view of the city, playing on the deterioration of the aesthetic features that have come to represent modern European democracy.

In an era defined by Brexit and volatile physical and political borders, Ní Ghrioghair’s sculptures are not only beautiful, but exceptionally relevant. The artist’s unique perspective and exciting techniques are sure to shine through in her new exhibition. Declaration of the State Metropolis at Tara will show at Pallas Projects until November 16th and admission is free.