Sprout Returns Bigger and Better to Dawson St

The restaurant has returned to the street where it started life.

Donal MacNameeEditor

Editor’s Note: This is a sponsored article.

Sprout is back.

The student favourite, which began life as a restaurant on Dawson St in 2015, has returned to a new premises directly across the road from where the business began.

The restaurant’s new premises on Dawson St is its biggest yet, with 70 seats as well as a standalone breakfast and coffee bar that serves roasted brown coffee.

The Dawson St re-opening means Sprout now has seven restaurants in operation – and it comes with a raft of new offerings, including warm bowls for the colder days that lie ahead.

It threw open its doors on Tuesday, giving away free salads to customers. It’s also offering a 10 per cent food discount to students.

Sprout, which was founded by brothers Jack and Theo Kirwan, prides itself on sourcing its ingredients from local growers and producers, and its menu changes with the seasons.

Sprout is offering a 10 per cent food discount to students.

Last year, the brothers launched a 40-acre organic farm in Co Kildare, where the restaurant grows the majority of its own greens, as well as beetroot, cauliflower, celery, broccoli, and three types of onion.

Customers will also be able to order their food through an app, with a dedicated click-and-collect section.

Jack Kirwan told The University Times in 2017 that one of his aims was to foster a relaxed atmosphere for staff, and said the restaurant is “all about making a good atmosphere” for customers.

He’s also consistently referenced Trinity students as a vital part of the success of the business: when the original Sprout closed in 2018 as part of the redevelopment of Dawson St, it gave out two-for-one vouchers for its store in Exchequer St. Kirwan said that “we’ve a lot of Trinity students to thank for supporting us get to where we are”.

Jack and Theo Kirwan started the business as a cold-pressed juice business operating out of an Avoca store.