Confident Camógs Too Strong for DCU, Claiming Third Win in Four

Laura Stack continued her fine form as Trinity ran out 3-07 to 0-5 winners in Santry on Wednesday night.

John Keenan Staff Writer
Tadhg Browne for The University Times

Trinity Camogie secured their third league win of the season in the CCAO Third-Level League Division 3 on Wednesday night, overcoming Dublin City University (DCU) 3-7 to 0-5 courtesy of a clinical second half display.

For the second match in a row, Trinity scored three goals en route to a routine victory on home soil.

The game got off to a frantic start. Trinity’s Aoife Brennan, sporting number 13, forced a save from DCU goalkeeper Hannah Brennan in the first minute.

Despite the rapid opening, the game soon slipped into a lull. The slick playing surface meant that scoring chances were scarce for both teams in the early phases. DCU looked the better side: they opened the scoring after eight minutes, when Aisling Gargan slotted the sliotar over the bar.

Their lead did not last long, however. Just a minute later, Trinity’s Ailis O’Shea battled through the DCU defence and managed to find the dynamic Laura Stack in space. She grabbed Trinity’s first points of the game.

DCU re-established their lead in the 11th minute, when Emma Johnson won a free and duly converted. Johnson then had a chance on goal just a minute later, but Claire McNamara in the Trinity goal made a fine save.

Rallied by McNamara’s save, Trinity began to grow into the game and dominate play. They grabbed the next point of the game through a Stack free after 11 minutes.

Another point from DCU’s Johnson, coupled with a brace of scores from Stack, rounded off a low scoring half, with Trinity holding a narrow lead.

Trinity got off to a dream start in the second half. Stack came close to scoring the first goal, her shot flashing across the face of the DCU goal. The home side continued to press – Trinity co-captain Juliette O’Flynn shot just short of the sticks. Áine Doyle, lurking at the back post, pounced on the loose ball and was able to sweep home for the first goal of the contest, six minutes into the half.

DCU heads began to drop. Trinity capitalised, when O’Flynn had a goal of her own after 38 minutes. She surged through the DCU defence and placed the sliotar into the top right-hand corner, leaving Brennan with no chance. O’Flynn then added another point to her tally two minutes later.

DCU’s Johnson launched a response with a point from a 65, desperately trying to keep in touch with the hosts. Trinity were ruthless, however: Stack continued her dominant display, driving past two DCU defenders and scoring another point.

Trinity put the tie to bed after 53 minutes with their third goal: Clíodhna Ryan was the quickest to react to a Brennan save and bundled the ball home. DCU could only manage another point, and the game ended 3-07 to 0-5 in favour of Trinity.

After another stellar performance for Trinity, confidence will be running high. Now with three wins out of a possible four, the camógs will look to continue their fine run of form as the competition heads into the latter stages.