In Players Theatre, a Poignant Portrayal of Teen Struggle

Sticky Label, written and directed by Em Ormonde, is a moving piece of theatre that cleverly utilises well-written and three-dimensional characters.

Gráinne MahonContributing Writer

When I walked into Players Theatre for the Monday evening performance of Sticky Label, written and directed by Em Ormonde, the set gave me the first impression that I was in for an interesting experience – and the rest of the play certainly did not disappoint.

The show was staged in the very centre of the space with the audience seated in a circle around a single spotlight, in which our protagonist stood to deliver the opening monologue. Straight away I was drawn in by Pierce McNee’s compelling performance as Ruán – his poignant portrayal of the anxiety and struggles many LGBTQ+ teens face when finding and anchoring their identity was commendable.

The set, although minimal, was used to its maximum potential, creating an immersive theatre experience that pulled the audience into the characters and their various intricate relationships and stories. I was particularly fond of the trio dynamic between Ruán and his two best friends, Donncadgh and Almaith, played by Cathal Crowley and Millie Tusa. Each character shone individually, while complementing each other beautifully, and their unconditional acceptance of Ruán was heart-warming to witness.

Ormonde has to be commended for their stellar script that flowed naturally between the characters, providing an accurate portrayal of the unbreakable ties so often formed between young adults. They also employed a gorgeous use of spoken-word poetry in several scenes to project Ruán’s innermost thoughts and anxieties. These moments tugged on the audience’s heart-strings.

The chemistry between the two romantic leads was laudable. Aaron, played by Hugh Kelly, projected a loveable brand of tongue-in-cheek charisma, while also delivering potent emotional performances in the more serious scenes.

Sticky Label was a beautifully moving piece of theatre that cleverly utilised well-written and three-dimensional characters to remind the audience that there are always those who will love us unconditionally, and that finding yourself is not something to be feared but celebrated.

Sticky Label runs in Players Theatre at 7pm from Thursday to Saturday of this week, with a 5pm show on Wednesday.